Apple vs Google sign-in obfuscation / lost work

Hi all,

hope you’re all well.

I once signed in into Sketchup with my Apple account (and did some heavy work) and then I signed in with my Google account, under which I didn’t do anything (I logged out and back to my Apple account). I logged out three weeks ago.

Today, I have the following problem(s):

• I can sign in with my Google account but I cannot see any of the work I did;
  • I can’t sign in with my Apple account: I go through all the steps of logging in (until two-way verification with 6-digit confirmation) and, when I am supposed to be logged in, I am sent back to the logging page.

Should I consider I have lost all my work? Is there a way for me to log back with my Apple login?
(Additional information: my Apple and Google login are the same email.)

Cheers,
Liva

We were talking about this today, and sometime soon I will write an article to explain the pros and cons of the different ways of signing in. It would not surprise me if Google add a similar feature to Apple’s at some point. Then I’ll have to update the article.

In your case, when you first used Apple ID to sign in you chose to Hide My Email. That is in theory a good idea. People like us only see an address that looks like 2j3h4g2k3j4g2k3t6sgjabtkv@privaterelay.appleid.com, so we don’t know what your original Apple ID is. When we send an email to you, Apple checks to see if the message came from us in particular, and if it did, the message is forwarded to your real Apple ID email address. If you look at the Reply To for any such email, you will see that it includes the obfuscation address too.

I am able to see that under your hide email address you do have one model that you were working on. You ought to be able to sign in with Apple, using your real Apple ID, to here: app.sketchup.com/app

and see that model in the Trimble Connect part of the page. If after having used the Free version you realized that hiding your email wasn’t ideal, and changed your Apple ID settings to use your real email address when signing into SketchUp, then that one model will not be connected to your account.

I am able to move the model over to the account you want it to be in. Could you try using sign in with Apple on this page:

and use the Customer Service, Message Us option, to give me the details of which account the model is in now, and which one you would like it to be in. Make sure to mention my name, so that my colleagues will send the request to me.

1 Like

Hi Colin,

Wow, what a quick reply! Thanks a lot.
I tried to sign in with Apple but I got redirected to the base sign in page at the very last moment (see the screenshot below).

Should I try to sign in with Google instead?

Thanks again,
Liva

! Capture d’écran 2020-10-15 à 23.30.58|434x500

Yes, that would be ok. I imagine you will want to move things over to your Gmail sign in!

Yes, I will sign in with my Google account from now on. If you can do something for my project, that’s terrific.
Thanks again,
Liva

There is a long history of Google breaking things, so I would advice not to use that sign in, too. What’s next, using Instagram? Azure? Facebook? MyHeritage?
My mother used to work as maternity nurse back in the days and visited lots of families in the region where I grew up.
There wasn’t a single (girl) friend I came home with that she didn’t somehow knew: “aren’t you one of those and that?”
talking about authenticators…

I did mean that you could sign into the contact page using Google, then send the message that gives your different accounts, and ask for the model to be moved over. I do already know enough for what I will need to do, but we still need a support request to make changes to someone’s account.

1 Like

Hi Colin,

just did the process.
Thanks a lot for your support.

Cheers,
Liva

Hi Colin,

Your magic worked out great! I regained access to my project and have given up trying to connect with my Apple account.

Thanks for everything,
Liva