Aligning axes of components with contexts

I am bringing window components into walls that tilt inward .5.˚ When I put the components into various contexts they inevitably appear upside down or backwards, or at strange angles. There must be a way to align the component’s axes with the context into which it is being put, but I haven’t been able to figure it out. Any thoughts? I am using the latest SketchUp Make on a Mac.

Are you using components that ‘Glue to’ a face? For that might be your best option.
Or are they components without that property.

Could you upload the model with the problem.

A ‘Glue to’ component can be recognized by its blue axis as a blue cross in the component’s R/G plane when being inside the component (in its editing context).

+1

Thanks very much for your response. When making a window component, I usually select “glue to any” and then the gluing plane appears, but I don’t understand how to move that plane to the face of the component where I want it. Hope that makes sense.

Geo

November 15
Wo3Dan:

A 'Glue to' component can be recognized by its blue axis as a blue cross in the component's R/G plane when being inside the component (in its editing context).

+1

To respond, reply to this email or visit http://forums.sketchup.com/t/aligning-axes-of-components-with-contexts/3896/3 in your browser.

To unsubscribe from these emails, visit your user preferences.

It helps to create window components in situ on a temporary “wall”.
That is, draw a temporary vertically oriented face upon which you model the window component.
Provided there is a hole in the temporary face; SketchUp will automatically set the gluing plane on that face when you create the component.

You can change the component axes while in editing mode.
Right context click (in space, not on the geometry) > Change Axes

See Aidan’s video and investigate the attached file.

Windows.skp (43.5 KB)

You either create the component on an existing face (or on the groundplane) with all its geometry as how you would like it to “sit/glue” on that plane (or the ground plane)…
Or afterwards you right click on the component and select ‘Change Axes’. Adjust them to where you would like the local (component’s) R/G plane, thus the gluing plane, to be. In fact its quite simple.

Changing the component’s axes is also available right when creating the component, see the ‘Create Component’ dialog box: → ‘Set Component Axes’

If you do have beginners problems with how to create a correct ‘Glue to’ component and how it works, just draw a rectangle on the ground plane and make it a ‘Glue to’ component. Only then start building the window in this component’s editing context. Remember, the rectangle just marks the gluing plane but is not needed anymore as geometry.

1 Like