Adding thickness to surface hollows out the back (like a box)

cabinet base.skp (189.0 KB)

the bottom rectangle (first item) selecting with the arrow tool then pulling with the pull tool made it thick (I think) but the next two rectangles (wide sides) hollowed on the back when pulled and then the last two (ends) also seem to thicken when pulled. I want them all to be thick (not just planes)

When a face is attached to another one, the pushpull tool, by default, doesn’t create a new face. Clicking on CTRL before pulling should force the face to be created.

It seems to me a different workflow is in order. How are you planning to use this cabinet base?

clicking (and holding) ctrl before pull tool did not have the desired effect, I still have a ‘hollowed panel with edges’. maybe of note; the end panels do not have this condition (as far as I can tell). I have only worked in 2D previously (and not much of that) so this is all new to me.

Don’t hold it.

I told you to click it, not hold. In the desktop version it doesn’t make a difference, but in the Web it does.

I am attempting to create a model to show the fabrication shop, this is supposed to represent an electrical box made from sheet metal. I will need to add an array of cutouts for venting and affixing equipment. if I can represent it somewhat correctly they can give me an estimate.

later on, if I can give them an accurate drawing of the flattened out ‘blank’ I could save at least 50% of the cost of producing the prototype. so given my level of experience it would seem to make sense for me to go through this exercise with the simple 3D drawing and then try some simple sheet metal plans before trying to produce something to used in fabricating the final enclosure.

How is the box to be built? from individual pieces welded together or formed from a single sheet? If formed, how? There are different approaches to this depending on how it is to be manufactured. Is this just a one-off box for personal use or do you need to create some sort of proper manufacturing drawings for it? What do you have to provide to the vendor to get this thing made?

DaveR, the current plan is formed on a brake 3/16" aluminum sheet with perforation arrays, solid margins and corners, and a slide out equipment tray nested inside. the fabricator has stated that ‘wherever there are seams where it needs to be solid it will be welded and it will look as though it is formed’. I assume they will have lots of input as to the layout so it is able to be done efficiently with whatever brake/dies/processes they have available. again, if I could give them a ‘blueprint’ for the blank I can save on ‘design’ time of their ‘draftsman’ and right now I need the ‘carcass’ drawing to be able to discuss cost estimates for this prototype. if we end up with a marketable design we want to make dozens and hopefully dozens per month (gotta have a dream right?)

Definitely!

So since this sounds like it’s not a hobby thing the first recommendation I’m going to make is that you switch to SketchUp Pro. SketchUp Free is for hobby use and really isn’t the best option for what you need to do. SketchUp Pro will also allow you to utilize some extensions that will make the modeling process much easier. It’ll also make it possible to create proper dimensioned drawings and CAD files if they need those, too.

As for modeling it, the fabrication process will be an important guide. If the piece is going to be bent from a flat sheet, what radius will the bends need to have? If the corners of the box are to be welded after bending, maybe it makes sense to model the box that way.

Based on your initial box, I would suggest that you start in this fashion.

Bottom of the box,
Pulled up to thickness.
Offset for the thickness of the walls.
Pull the walls up.

For a properly detailed box there’ll be more to it.

1 Like

that’s very helpful, thanks. any suggestions for incorporating the holes in my new 3/16" thick panels? so far I have drawn two 1/4" squares, they would not align (one was forced to be a little lower in the y axis) and when I selected the space inside one of the squares with the arrow tool it highlighted the area and next I hit delete and the color changed but it did not create a hole through the panel; the opposite side still appears solid, I will need a large number of these ‘perforations’ to continue and would like them to align in a simple grid pattern.

Sounds like you need to get an understanding of the basics before you go any further.
Spend some time at the Campus.

But here is a quick example of two ways of creating a grid of holes in a thickened wall.
Basics

1 Like

thanks, that looks exactly like what I want to do. my toolbar and layout don’t appear like the video though… was the tutorial done on an older version of the website?

That was done using pro, this is how it looks in the web version.
Web01

1 Like