Adding a new layer after creating scenes adds the new layer to all existing scenes

When you create a new layer, that layer is automatically turned on in all existing scenes, requiring you to go back and update all scenes already created. It seems like new layers should be automatically turned off in existing scenes, because if you had wanted that layer in that scene, you would have created it and put it in the Scene in the first place. I can’t see any scenario where this setting makes sense.

7 Likes

While not disagreeing with your basic point, it has been that way for a long time and there are numerous layers management plugins available that let you add layers with more control over which scenes they are visible on. As a result, I doubt this request will get traction.

1 Like

Add Hidden Layer … SketchUp plugin by Jim Foltz

@nlemon98

This was just published on the EWH

http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/auto-invisible-layer

I hope this helps

CD

1 Like

I agree. I think this should be a feature of ordinary Sketchup Pro. I would like to support this as a feature request.

3 Likes

In my modeling, I’ve yet to exploit scenes or styles, but from following the forums, I’ve read quite a bit. What seems most reasonable to me when you have multiple scenes and add a layer is:
If the scene/style - when updated - preserves layers, then newly added layers - when added from other scenes - should be hidden.
If the scene/style - when updated - doesn’t preserve layers, then newly added layers should be visible.

This is a long-standing and frequently-repeated FR. I suspect that Trimble gives it low priority because there are multiple extensions available that handle these issues pretty well…of course, that doesn’t say that a better built-in tool wouldn’t be nice, it only means they have lots of other stuff they will do first.

1 Like

Very useful. I am a beginner and have been tormented by this issue—especially when editing someone else’s model with many Scenes. Add a new component, it shows up on every scene. Try to put that component on a new layer, it still shows up on every scene. Fixing each scene is a senseless use of time.

I used Jim Foltz’ extension, mentioned above. Works great. Thanks.

From what I’ve “seen” this is not addressed in any Trimble documentation. Perhaps it should be. One sentence would have saved me at least two hours of head scratching.

i agree this should just be a native feature in SU without requiring the use of an extension. SU is always trying to promote using native tools so having this as a standard feature would be extremely helpful and wouldn’t require the use of an extension.

1 Like

I’ll check out the proffered extensions, but still think it’s bogus that it’s added to all scenes - very counter-intuitive to the idea of creating a layer in the first place.

Check here:

2 Likes

Thank you!

Sometimes you create layers for objects you want hidden in all previous scenes, sometimes for objects you want shown in them. I would not want the current behavior to change as that would require you to go back and show layers at least as often as you now go back to hide them; simply reversing the behavior wouldn’t solve the problem. As written several times there are extensions though for making newly created layers to be hidden in existing scenes.

Seems like a no-brainer that there should be a native way of handling this. Especially because ONE new layer/component/group can cause 30? 50? steps backwards depending on how many scenes you have setup. That’s just bad math.

There is. Go to the extension warehouse and get “Auto Invisible Layer”. It’s that easy.

1 Like

Hi,

i’m more for option direkt in SKP.

Why not like this:

• make a new tag
  • after that a optionwindow appears, with two selectable options:
    1. show in all scenes
    2. show in no scenes

Would that be too much/complicate, to implement?

Greetings
Tobi

1 Like

Rather than 1 million+ paying SU pro users doing it, how about 1 SU programmer do it for their customers…

Ditto… they can also put back in the Query tool, dynamic components and sun angle tools for the same reason

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try it out, but there is a scary popup warning when you go to install “This extension will have the ability to access the filesystem on your computer. Do not grant this access lightly; be sure you trust the author.”

Right.

Don’t you feel like that brings us around again to the original issue about native support for this feature?

I like JF Addlayer. Allows different scene visibility controls, use it anytime on any layer.
You get that sort of pop up all the time on plugins. You’re right this is a common issue that would save everyone time with a native fix / methodology. Depending on your workflow and complexity of your files–it affects some people more than others.

In the tags menu, right-click on a tag and then select “make tag invisible in all scenes”

(just kidding …that’s not an actual thing…but it should be)