Layers turn off with new scene

I have turned on several layers, set up a view point and then click + in the Scenes window to create a new scene. However, it doesn’t save the scene I just set up. Several layers are turned off. I finally figured out why. I have created those layers with “Add Hidden Layer”, an extension I’ve had for some time. Still, the result is puzzling. I created the layer with “Add Hidden Layer”. Then I turn it on in the scene I’m looking at and then create a new scene because I want to use the current settings. But that layer turns off when I create the scene. Why would this happen? Is there a way to avoid this problem? I frequently create layers with “Add Hidden Layer” so in more complicated drawings creating a new scene will turn off multiple layers. Very inconvenient.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Huck

The Ruby API provides more flexibility for layer behavior than the SketchUp GUI exposes (maybe because they are confusing), but plugins can use the added power. That is why people created plugins such as the one you reference. I think that plugin has set an option that says the layer is to be hidden by default on all new scenes, not just the current scene. I know there are plugins that expose more combinations of the behavior options, so you might search the Extension Warehouse and/or sketchUcation Plugin store to see what others offer.

Thanks. That makes sense, i.e. the plugin sets an option that the layer is to be hidden by default in new scenes.

If you (or anyone else) knows of specific other plugins that might function differently, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Have a look at this one. Not the only possibility but I think it does what you want.

http://sketchucation.com/plugin/832-jf_add_layer

Thanks. That is very cool. It does another thing I wanted to do. It lets me turn off a particular layer in all scenes. Or turn on a layer in all scenes.

Really useful.