Adding a new layer after creating scenes adds the new layer to all existing scenes

Standard warning. From the extension warehouse and Sketchucation, you can disregard the warning, everything is safe.

I see your point slb, but I think in general this is a must have. This way we can create template viewports in layout and have less scenes in sketchup. Although plugins people are mentioning about this can get this done already, dfeintieliy think this should be a native feature in both sketchup and layout.

One thing I donā€™t understand is how although a lot of people want this feature, Iā€™m reading things from 4 years ago. Is there any way that something so simple could be added in the next 10 years @adam? Or how does this feature request thing work for us when we ask for things? Obviously some sarcasm there, but 4 years ago and still nothing? Makes me wonder about the customer service trimble intends on providing.

Intereresting points. It looks like you might be missing the point though of many users including myself because also ā€œas written several timesā€ by many users I think from what Iā€™m reading is that a lot of people are asking for this feature without it being a plugin and instead being a native feature giving the user the option to do either or as they wish.

why is it there then? like a little boy crying ā€œWOLFā€

I believe itā€™s an OS warning rather than an extension warehouse or sketchup warning. So far there has been no malicious hacking of extensions and so we all just ignore the warning. It may not always be the case.

This is a warning from SketchUp itself.

While I havenā€™t seen it happen, an extension has access to executing code on your system and could steal or delete files or do other nasty things. Allowing someone to run their code on your machine is a little like giving someone the keys to your house while you are away. There are all kinds of valid reasons for it, like letting in contractors to fix something that is broken or improve your house, but you donā€™t do it to a rando you just met.

1 Like

Well as I have pointed out a number of timesā€¦ Trimble should be validating Extensions so they are safe to installā€¦ not have the 1,000,000+ paid users second guessing if an extension is ok or not with a ā€œcop outā€ warningā€¦ particularly as Trimble gets so much value added to their software by the amazing extension developersā€¦ it is just sloppy corporate customer treatment at bestā€¦ and other phrases I could use at worst!

Easy for you to say. I donā€™t think it is so simpleā€¦

How would you suggest they go about doing so, particularly when thousands of extensions come from sources other than the EW, over which Trimble has no control? How much more would you be willing to pay to have this peace of mind? Would you trade this off against Trimbleā€™s team instead putting the equivalent effort into new features or fixing SketchUp bugs? None of us who donā€™t work for Trimble management have enough information to claim to know what they can or canā€™t afford to do within their existing revenue stream and staff!

But all that aside, even if they somehow validated all extensions there would still be the possibility of a bug that could in one way or another cause damage. Ruby is a general-purpose programming language with ability to do a lot that has nothing to do with SketchUp. I suspect Trimbleā€™s legal department would still insist on a warning to avoid accepting liability for third-party extension codersā€™ mistakes.

1 Like