Add Location Snapshot as projected texture onto terrain?

I created a texture from my Location Snapshot. I want to project it onto my terrain model because the 3D feature that came with the Geolocation snapshot is not accurate enough. I am using a terrain created from a survey. Thus far, I have just been painting the terrain a general color. But I would prefer to have the natural color and texture of the actual site.

I think you should be able to do that. Could you reply with a file that is your geometry, and tell me the location of the snapshot? No need to include the snapshot if you used Digital Globe. Even if you got Nearmap tiles, I could try my idea with Digital Globe tiles, and give you steps to try with Nearmap tiles.

You can improve the terrain from geolocation by importing the smallest area you can, then add extra imagery for the areas next to that.

Place your flat image above your terrain. Make sure the two are aligned in plan view. Select the image surface (open for edit if you have to) and right click on it: Texture>projected. Then select the terrain geometry, if it’s been soften/smoothed as it should be then it will select as a single surface, invoke the paint tool, sample the projected texture and apply it to the terrain.

Here I am replacing the texture on only a small section of the terrain, as that is the only area I needed hi-res imagery for on this project, but the principle is the same.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1)

I think that you replaced the terrain image with the flat image. The goal is to replace some geometry’s textures with the image from the terrain.

The solution will be the same though.

Sorry but the file is huge due to the fact that my project is already modeled onto the site (and somehow I consistently create humongous SketchUp file, but that is another issue for another day.) So I will try the suggestion below first. If it does not work. I will share a Dropbox link to the file.

That would be fine, thanks.

I’ve been having that experience myself even with Placemaker, i.e. the aerial photo is great but the terrain data isn’t usable. I’ve applied the photo to my terrain exactly @endlessfix describes, and I would expect it to work on your example.

Ah, the Quarry at UCSC. It looked familiar, and I was right for once.

1 Like

@endlessfix your solution did not work for me. I am using the Location Snapshot, as I do not have access to any other aerial photo. When I right click location snapshot I only get the option to Make Texture Unique. Not sure what I can do with that. I tried various things intuitively to no avail. I opened new drawing and exploded the location snapshot and unhid the edges. Then I created a rectangle below it that is exactly the same size. I tried right clicking on the image but again I only get the option of making the texture unique. I tried to figure out if I can place that unique texture in my materials list but I could not do anything.
To make things more complicated, I really only want the site image to be draped onto the gray areas of my site, not the areas that I have already defined with other textures. Here is a link to my (enormous) Site file in Dropbox.

That was a Layout file you sent. but I was able to extract the embedded SketchUp file to have a look.
Yeah, you have some other things going on here. You are not getting the Projected option because your bottom surface is actually many surfaces stitched together with hidden lines between them. Turn on hidden geometry to see this. Let me work on this for a moment to come up with some good options for you in this situation.

How did you get this image into SketchUp?

Bingo! Well spotted! You must know it well very, are you a Banana Slug? I just finished an Opera there.

OK, @ziggystardog, took me a moment to see what you have here. The surface you want to project is not a single surface, and not a single image, but a collection of divided surfaces (with hidden lines) and a bunch of separate images stitched together. First make this into a single image to be projected.

Turn on hidden geometry
select each of the individual areas that comprise the source image
with all of them selected, right click and choose Combine Textures
SU will ask if you want to erase lines, you can say yes
now you have a single surface and texture
select it, right click and choose texture>projected

now open your terrain, invoke the paint tool
sample the lower image and apply that texture to your grey areas
notice that once the projected texture is loaded you do not need to sample again, just continue applying it to whatever surfaces in your terrain you want to.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2)

I will try it thank you. I got the image through the usual geolocation method but I think I remember purchasing a high res option rather than the normal image. I cannot believe how sloppy my drawings become. I just realized that somehow my imported building file is not set correctly and therefore the fences are not aligning with the building Yet when I try to move either of them to what should be a fixed point, nothing is ever quite aligning. I am just failing at SketchUp because clearly I am too often just patching and repairing rather than doing it accurately the first time. I apologize for asking you to enter my mess.

I was able to do it! And as for the building not aligning on the site, I was able to revert to a previous version and only lost a little bit of work. I really have a hate/love relationship with this program.

2 Likes

OT: An opera! You’re a singer, a composer?! Yeah, I was in Antigone there (just an extra). I guess it is sort of iconic, a jagged amphitheater.

1 Like

I am really good friends with a professor in the media arts department at ucsc. small world.

2 Likes

No apology needed, and looking at your model, you are clearly not failing at SketchUp. It’s a complicated program and there is lots to learn, I continue to learn new things all the time. Everyone has had the sensation of chasing errors once in a while, it’s normal. I freaked out the other day because I found an angle of ˚14.873 that should have been ˚15 in a large mechanical object I’ve been designing for months, sounds like no big deal but I had sent many parts to be water-jet and whole assemblies welded and all kinds of cascading decisions based on that angle. Turns out I was just measuring it wrong.

You only fail if you give up. :+1:

I did go to Model Info>Statistics>Purge Unused which dropped the SketchUp file size form 113mb to 60mb.

Ha! Outside of the shower I’m not much of a singer. I’m a scenic designer, I design environments for opera, theater, dance, circus, all kinds of wacky things . Impressive that you remembered the quarry from an overhead shot, the audience setup is pretty unique.

It is a small world after all.

1 Like

This solved it for me. Thank you!

1 Like