A small pencil line turns out to be too big

I do not have the place in your video that shows the above measurement

It’s normally at the bottom right corner of the screen. Maximise the SketchUp window and you should see it.

Again when I open your file you have the camera almost 107 Kilometers out. Could you see a real 10 cm square from 107 Kilometers?

1 Like

When you talk about zooming in too closely, are you talking about when the camera clips the model?
Zoomed out:

Zoomed in:

You may want to check your mouse settings, namely your DPI and your scroll wheel sensitivity if possible. It seems your small movements are translating into large camera movements, if I’m reading you correctly.

I don’t think we’ve gotten to clipping here.

The OP is standing on the Rock of Gibraltar trying to see a 10 cm square in MĂĄlaga, Spain.

2 Likes

He mentioned not being able to rotate the model when he zooms in too much. I figured that was what he’s referring to, but it seems there’s something more fundamental going on here. It’s like he doesn’t understand the zoom function is relative. If I have my cursor over an object and zoom in or out, it does so at a different rate than when my cursor is over nothing. It’s like when you delete the default scale figure before laying down any part of your model and move the camera around; it can be a little unruly and hard to reorient yourself.

1 Like

Maybe but he’s also got his model at a large distance from the origin and other problems.

Yes. That’s normal. Zoom Extents is a useful way to deal with that unless you scatter little bits of geometry all over the place as in the OP’s model.

1 Like

Uploading: cube v2.skp

cube v2.skp (327.3 KB)

tekrar denedim 10cm görĂŒnĂŒyor

OK. Now you have a box that is 10 cm wide. Go to the Camera menu and click on Zoom Extents.

1 Like

Everything is fine, the only problem is that it appears as 10mm in the program.

So did you do as Box indicated and set the correct units for the .stl export? Clearly the slicer is expecting millimeters for the import units. Model in SketchUp using millimeters and export the .stl with units set to millimeters.

1 Like

If you’re working in cm but the Slicer is expecting mm, you can also just scale up the model in the Slicer’s menu. Since you’re working in metric, it’s a cinch to just go by tens.

You’ll just have to rescale the original file if you want to share it to a repository like Thingiverse or at least add a note to it about how it should be scaled or what its proper dimensions should be.

Thank you all