A bug when exporting to AutoCAD?

Hello, everyone! I encountered a problem when exporting from Sketchup Pro 2022 to AutoCAD.
The model in Sketchup is shown below.

I turned on parallel projection mode. On the top plane, I set different colors for the materials of each line. After exporting to AutoCAD, I found that some lines had color problems (as shown below).

The reason is that when exporting, Sketchup applies the color of the invisible line segments below to the upper layer, covering the correct line segment color.

I would like to ask if this is a bug in the Sketchup software? How should this problem be solved?

(the source file here…)
test2.skp (78.4 KB)
test2.dwg (11.5 KB)

With an active section plane just above the window and facing up? To “visibly eliminate” everything beneath the top.

1 Like

You shouldn’t have blue faces exposed, that means they’re facing the wrong direction.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. I have turned over the direction of the faces above and I got the same result in AutoCAD.

Thank you for your advice. Actually I am using a Ruby script to export the model. And I can’t use section plane tool to help.

I didn’t say that correcting the faces will solve the problem, it will only prevent future problems with your model, by the way, is your model made out of different groups, is everything a single group or it’s all loose geometry?
Have you tried to use the overkill command on AutoCAD?

Thank you. My model is a single group that contains many geometry. Actually I am developping an extension. All operations are done by Ruby script.
I will try to use overkill command on CAD.

I have tried to use the overkill command, and it’s no help to correct the wrong colors.

I would export from a “color by Tag” scene. That way the dwg stays “organised”, kind of, or rather, looks organised, in that things coming from a certain tag can at least be identified in the dwg from its color in the dwg.

I would export from a “color by Tag” scene. That way the dwg stays “organised”, kind of, or rather, looks organised, in that things coming from a certain tag can at least be identified in the dwg from its color in the dwg.

Thanks for your answer. But I don’t quite understand what you mean. Can you describe how-to in detail ?

Colors for each tag can be set here.

For the scene, you need to set it up like this: Color by tag:

Also: color by material

Just name this style something like “dwg…”

If you also set the style to hidden line you get a clear feel for how the dwg will look like when exported.

Note that “Color by tag” works only when you export as a 3D model. 2D export exports a flattened “screenshot”.

“color by tag” works also for 2D.

You get the right color, from the tag the geometry was on, but the actual tag information is purged, along with origo and component structure.

Thank you! I will try.

Thanks. I’ve tried what you said. But It didn’t solve my problem.

This is a routine for recurrent exports of the same scene. . For doing it once om noe spesific geomerty i would just redraw it in sutocad :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.