A big shout out! (components)

Hey I already kind of figured out my problem but I want to throw a word of thanks out since I figured it out because of what I read here!

A few weeks ago I was making 1 inch diameter parts. I had ran into a problem there with follow me where I was working too small and @DaveR helped me out on that one by teaching me to work bigger then shrink to actual size .

Then last week I read on a thread started by someone else where @sjdorst and again @DaveR talked about components and how to draw your parts big then make components of them. Mirror the component and then shrink the mirror down to ā€œactual sizeā€.

So this weekend I was working on a part 10 inches by 6 inches and I would get so far into it then push/pull would not work any more! I realized (eventually) that the roughly 5/8 inch radii I was making on corners were not making smooth tangents- there was distortion at the intersections. That ā€˜double lineā€™ issue threw push/pull off! It took me a while to figure it out because it was too small to see unless you zoomed waaaaay in.

Sorry I ramble, so I took the combined lessons of @daveR and @sjdorst and made my base part 10 times bigger then turned it into a component and mirrored it out and MAN, even setting aside the issues related to working ā€˜too smallā€™ COMPONENTS ROCK! It has simplified so many other aspects of drawing and printing it is just unreal! Now that know about it I donā€™t l know how I got along without it- and I only used it for the first time 3 days ago!

So a big thanks to Steve and Dave!

Rob

2 Likes