50 Exercises to Make You a Stronger 3D Modeler đź’Ş

Have your 3D skills gotten out of shape? Do you want to up your SketchUp fitness game but don’t know where to start? Or are you maintaining your spatial conditioning?

If you answered “Yes” to any of these questions, this live stream is for you!

This time on SketchUp Live, @matt_robison works out his Push/Pull muscles with FIFTY 3D exercises from this video.

Follow along with the plans from Md. Aminul Islam here.

The best part about this 2-hour routine is you can do it at home, on the train, or even at a gym!

Watch on YouTube, LinkedIn, & Facebook.
2024-08-02T18:00:00Z

11 Likes

Matt’s going to…pump…your model up. Can’t wait for this one.

2 Likes

Those are fun little objects for practice.

2 Likes

I love how there are no units. it’s 40x80, you pick what you’re comfortable with.

1 Like

At a quick glance they look cleaner than a similar set we worked with a few years ago.

Aaron’s a little (a lot) more skilled than I am, and the machine parts that he’s done in the past are a bit outside my grasp.
I don’t think any individual piece will be a challenge, but by doing 50 hopefully we’ll run into some interesting situations.

4 Likes

If nothing else, these are good exercises for learning to think through the process a bit so you can stay ahead of the model and make it efficiently.

3 Likes

I have pretty good 3D visualization skills, so in the previous set my main challenge was figuring out dimensions that the draftsman left implicit, to be derived from others. In a few examples they were genuinely missing and all you could do was make an assumption based on appearance. The greatest pleasure was learning better efficiency by seeing the techniques the really good modelers used. I sometimes make things harder than they should have been :flushed:

4 Likes

Really? For that, SketchUp Pro should support trackpad gestures, but it doesn’t. :disappointed:

ipad.

@ateliernab, as far as I know, it’s impossible to use extensions on an iPad, isn’t it?

I haven’t reviewed all 50, but none of the ones I’ve checked needed extensions. pretty sure none at all do.

so yeah, anyone with an ipad can do this “routine” like matt says :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@ateliernab is correct. No need for extensions at all. I did all 50 modeled with nothing but basic drawing tools and Push/Pull. All are solid components.

10 Likes

Oh awesome, I need this actually. I

1 Like

I’m a Make 2017 user and modelled all with only native tools too. I took a little over 2 and a half hours to do so, but would have been quicker without family interruptions. I’d class myself as an intermediate modeller now, so you’ll be fine.

1 Like

Yeah Matt Robinson!

See you all in 30 mins. Can wait to see Matt flex his SU muscles.

3 Likes

5 minutes left, waiting for you @matt_robison

1 Like

Good work @matt_robison

I hope you don’t mind but I’ll offer a slightly different approach to modeling the first practice piece.

5 Likes

Well that was brilliant. Great job Matt and nicely hosted Eric.

2 Likes