3D Warehouse stats out of whack

Thank you Dan to pointing out those posts; one of them is even mine and you can see that it has no real answer.

Until about yesterday (or Sunday maybe) it was like this: uploaded new model, checked it after couple of hours, saw 4 downloads, checked it again in other couple of hours, found 0 downloads but the graph side showed 5 downloads … repeat, same going on with both new and old models, etc. Seemed like download numbers are baaad but graph numbers are good. Asked about it, got the “Not here”, “Who cares” answers, swallowed it and adapted.

What i was joining to is signalling a new behaviour of the counters: since yesterday the graphs (not the “Downloads:
XX” like before) went berserk: they show large jumps in both views and downloads and this is why I took the liberty to post again. I did wrong it seems…

You are now the fourth “exceptional poster” that cares not for the issue but the presentation.

No you did not get a “so what?”.

@Barry (who is responsible for the Warehouse) gave you a precise answer:

It is likely that different programmers worked on the graphs and the property box, at different times.

The answers boil down to:

• They are working on 3DW features.
  • They know the graphs and the property box are out of sync.
  • They want to get them sync’d up.
  • It takes time (via established engineering protocols) to process changes to be done.
    (The Warehouses are themselves a product. It is not like one guy tweaking his personal webpage.)

Yes you did wrong.

Duplicate posting is prohibited because it just confuses the issue and spreads the discussion about the issue all over the place, instead of one thread where everyone can participate. And it makes makes more work for SketchUp Team members. Now they have to respond in multiple threads instead of one master thread.

A forum sage answered you immediately, telling you at that time it was already reported (ie, you had posted a duplicate issue.) He also asked whether it was a “big deal” ? This is what you call the “so what?” reponse.

Even though Dave, doesn’t have control over the 3DW, sages often ask questions to attempt to get posters to clarify their problems or state their case better. It might be he genuinely wanted to know why it was so important an issue for you. But you never answered this.

@Lorand and @franquin, both of your badges pages show you have not earned the “Read Guidelines” badge. When you joined the forum, you were asked to read the guidelines.

How can you know how to present your issues and topics correctly, if you do not even read the forum rules ?

This is what left me with the “so what” impression:

To which I replied that the margin was 0% until the then-recent tweaks were made to the site. I’ll admit to not having read the guidelines, but will do so now. I just hope I’ll both understand and remember them, which isn’t always the case with me, and the reason why I hadn’t done so up to now.

I don’t know how you got “Who cares?” from my question. You misread it. I acknowledged that there seems to be an issue with the numbers and I genuinely wanted to know what difference the accuracy of those numbers makes to the way you are using the 3D Warehouse and SketchUp. Do those numbers change whether or not you upload models/components to the Warehouse? Do they affect something else?

I asked because I’ve never cared about the number of views or downloads any of my shared models or components.

No need to answer my questions now, though.

2 Likes

It most definitely was not intended as a “so what”. I was speaking in general terms there on any site. Whether it’s internet advertising, TV or radio numbers, people will ALWAYS wonder how many people truly saw their content. That doesn’t mean “so what” or we don’t take it seriously or that you’re wrong, that means “this is a normal occurrence in this space”.

There are some numbers that have changed a bit in the past 12 hours. Specifically, as of GMT midnight today, we pushed some new code to 3dwarehouse that may bump downloads a bit. In short, there are a number of ways people can download models (any browser, Window->Components, Window->3DWarehouse, etc…), and some paths were not being counted accurately (we under-counted).

You didn’t notice that Likes are on that chart? That’s new.

But specifically for Wall-E: that’s what happens when you’re featured and have an interesting model. People view it and download it. There’s absolutely nothing screwy about that. Look at other featured models to see the same affect. Note: because I don’t accept your premise that the Wall-E model data is wrong, it does not mean “so what”. You can find models that were featured, then rotated off the featured list, and their numbers drop as well.

1 Like

Your post of May 28: “There is a couple of other threads on this topic. I agree it’s odd but is it really a big deal?”

I read it as “it is not important”; two other people read it as “not important” and answered you accordingly.

But if you really think I misread it, I must apologize.

Finally a real answer, thank you very much.

And no one noticed the “daily” data as well?

And an example of a model that was featured for a little while (June - Sept of 2014, when we had ported 3DWarehouse from Google internal infrastructure to our own). Note that 90% of it’s views and downloads came during that 3 month period:

I certainly have noticed the newly available daily readouts, and have used the functionality to try and sort out the discrepancies between the different download readouts. That worked until this latest event, where the numbers grew so far apart that no reconciliation can be done anymore.
Another thing I’ve been wondering about for a long time: Do our own views of “my 3d Warehouse” count as visits, or is there a distinction made between genuine browsing and simple “tabs”-keeping?
Should I open another topic in this regard? Or, for that matter, regarding the suggestion I’d make that maybe a moderator should decide what category a new topic should belong to, as this is often not cut-and-dry.

does it screen for multiple downloads from the same user?

john

No, and when we left Google, we did get download data but not users tied to it, and that’s continued at Trimble. Unlike click fraud, we assume users don’t do a ton of download duplicates. If someone has a use-case for that, let me know.

Let’s start another thread. This description is fairly broad, and interest is growing. That also buys me time to get the answer right. :slight_smile:

Well, didn’t see another thread, but the answer is: it’s every visit to the model page. I don’t think that’s all that different from the rest of the world: we don’t want to require people to login to look around the 3DWarehouse.

One was created and posted as: Browsing vs. tabs-keeping in 3D Warehouse, but I guess this takes care of that.
Which brings us back to the shouldn’t-a-moderator-decide-what-category-a-query-belongs-to topic?..

I’m posting this as a reply, so as not to ruffle any feathers by starting a new thread;
The downloads counter in 3dWarehouse is now going DOWN for nearly all my models.
There’s still a wide gap between the figures in the browsing window and those under “cumulative”, and discrepancies between the daily count and the totals in that section.
The situation is going from bad to worse.

We’re continuing to work on it. When I have a real update, I’ll report back. In a nutshell, we’re counting views and downloads in more than one place in more than one way, and some of this incorporated in with old data migrated from Google, so yes, there is some cleanup necessary.

1 Like

I understood that you guys are working on the discrepancies between the “Downloads” counter and the graph numbers and i got used to pictures like this:

My conviction until today (truth is you never said it) was that the more reliable numbers are those in the graphs as they are “stable” and the “Downloads” counter keeps shrinking every day and then i found this:

Is this “normal”? Does it mean that none of those numbers are at least slightly reliable?

I wonder if this has had any impact on the number of uploads to the Warehouse…
I know that I’ve stopped working on the projects I had undertaken when these aberrations cropped up, largely due to the disappearance of reliable feedback.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.