3D Warehouse Not Responding

My 3D warehouse was working fine all morning and all of a sudden it won’t download any models. I checked the forums and it seems like the most popular solution is to clear the web cache. I’m assuming that means to delete the contents of the web cache? I did that and then restarted SketchUp but it’s still not working.

I have to force quit my SketchUp file every time. I can’t download any models from the 3D warehouse.

The screen goes blank with a spinning beachball.

Is there another solution I could try?

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 2.14.05 PM (2)

The resetting the web cache means to go into this folder in Finder:

~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2020/

delete the WebCache folder, and then reopen SketchUp. You could also try going to model you want inside Safari or Chrome, and try downloading that way.

Also, in Components you can do a search for a model, and click on its thumbnail to immediately load the model without having to go through 3D Warehouse.

I have tried all of that. I waited until this morning to see if things would work properly. They did for a few hours but now it’s back to crashing every time I try to download a model from the 3D Warehouse. For now I’m downloading the models to a new independent file then copy and pasting it in to my drawing but it’s time consuming.

That’s generally the recommended procedure for getting components from the 3D Warehouse. This gives you an opportunity to clean up the components before you add them to your project file.

Is SketchUp actually crashing or does it just give you the message “Not responding”?

It wouldn’t surprise me to find your project has a bunch of unused and/or unneeded content in it that could be purged.

I’m not sure what you mean by “cleaning up” a component. Aside from changing the material contained in the models? I prefer to change within my drawing so I can see how it affects the rest of the space. (I’m an interior designer so it’s integral to the process).

I just don’t understand how I was able to maintain my process of downloading models directly into my drawings for the past 5 years and all of a sudden it doesn’t work anymore.

If I have to import the model into its own file my computer will be littered with models unless I delete them afterward. It all seems like unnecessary steps when I should be able to download directly into my file.

1 Like

Very often furniture and other components used in architectural models are extremely overly detailed. They include excess geometry, often details that can’t be seen and such. The recommendation to clean them up before adding them to your model is considered good workflow but if you’d rather bloat your files with unneeded content, that’s your choice.

SketchUp gives the message “not responding” and it lasts for several minutes before I decide to “force quit” I have left the wheel spinning for more than 5, 10, 30 minutes while I do other things and it just keeps spinning. (No response)

I regularly purge unused files so I don’t think that is the issue. Unless there’s something I’m missing? Models - Statistics - Purged Unused. Is that right?

That’s not crashing. It’s an indication that your computer is struggling to do what you are asking it to do. It’ll do it eventually but you need to give it time.

That’ll do some of it. Try running ThomThom’s CleanUp3 with everything selected for cleanup and see what you get.

1 Like

I know what you mean by the bloated files. I’ll do my research on how to clean them up - hoping that will help. But I’m still having issues downloading in to my files even the simple/minimal models.

And it doesn’t explain how I was able to do it before but not now. Inevitably it will remain a mystery and I’ll just have to change my habits.

Thank you. Can you tell me where is the best place to download ThomThom CleanUp3? I looked on Extensions and it 's not there. It looks like SketchUcation has it available - but I’m not sure if that’s the best place to get it.

It’s in the Extension Warehouse.

1 Like

Thank you!!! I was looking for “ThomThom”. I just downloaded it.

1 Like

Anything specific I should check off here - or do the default setting suffice?

I’d check them all and see what happens.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is going to solve my initial issues with downloading models from 3D Warehouse. But you’ve definitely helped me turn a new leaf. I’m watching tutorials on how to make “smaller” models and lesson the impact of large models in my drawings by having them on separate layers while working on the model, etc…

Also I’ll get in the habit of cleaning up my models with CleanUp3. Thank you for all your suggestions.

1 Like

Here’s an example. I downloaded a randomly selected stove from the 3D Warehouse. The file size is shown as 40 Mb. It looks like this when I get it in from the 3D Warehouse.

I deleted the image of it and ran CleanUp3 on it and this is the report. Notice how much stuff is removed.
Screenshot - 6_3_2020 , 11_00_11 AM

This reduced the file size by a little over 33% but there’s more that can be done.

If this stove was going to be shown in a kitchen model, it doesn’t need any of the internal geometry at all but it’s there.

Look at the Outliner. Well, the top half of it, anyway.

There’s over 27 entities in just the wires that support the racks on one side. Details no one will see or care about if looking at a model of a whole kitchen.

The galvanized metal texture used on the outside is over 2 Mb.

My point is that by itself this is a nice enough model. I don’t think I’d buy a range with a galvanized skin but that’s me. If you were going to add this to a model of a house as it is, your file size goes up by 40 Mb. Now add similar sized appliances and furniture to your house model and you can easily get the file size to the point where it is unmanageable and your computer struggles to process all the data. If this range was something I needed to use in a kitchen model I would seriously gut the thing. It wouldn’t need any of the internal stuff, it doesn’t even need the feet in the back. And I’d either edit the metal texture to reduce the file size or use a better material instead.

I spent a little time doing further cleanup and reduced the file size more. It could still stand some simplification but the file size is now reduced by nearly 75%.

2 Likes

Wow! Okay. This is really an eye opener. Most of my files are in the range of 400 MB. I’m embarrassed to even admit that.

No need to be embarrassed. It’s easy to let them get out of hand unless you know what to look for. Clearly keeping things cleaned up as you go helps improve your working efficiency. It usually also makes it easier to make changes later on when they become necessary.

1 Like

When you search for something in 3D Warehouse there is a file size slider over on the left of the page. You could drag that down to a low value, and find the point where you still get a useful stove, but that isn’t so huge a file.

1 Like

Apparently you missed the point Colin.

1 Like