2023 Solid Tools Subtract not working

Two solid objects (not components) Both check with two versions of Solid Inspector. The Subtract tool is used, one or both objects disappear! More than a deal killer. I have been using this software since the original version.

Can you share the model? Otherwise, the best anyone can do is guess!

Can you include the .skp file you are working with so people can diagnose? Sometimes native subtract can get confused. Your cutting piece shares a face with the main piece edge. Try push pulling the flat face of the cutting piece out away from the model center so it’s not on edge.

That is what Subtract does. Did you try Trim?

Ok Here is the .skp file

Although this sort of thing is quite basic stuff.

Here is an amended .skp file. I reinstalled the software and rebooted. The new version did show that the more complex shape was not a solid. I fixed that but the solid tools are still not working at all.
Barnard P-6 Right~.skp (983.0 KB)

I did that…I just moved the piece in for the screen shot. And in the past even if it was too far in, it would still subtract, but would leave artifacts to be cleaned up.

Just tried the Trim tool and it does nothing at all. I installed the 2023 version a couple of months ago as a 30 day trial as my 2022 version was ending. I only just paid the subscription today and re-started using the software. Perhaps that is the issue? When I check for updates under the “Sketch” menu, it tells me it has no internet connection…which is not true.

Here is a screenshot showing the correct position of the subtract. There are no shared edges/surfaces.

My guess is the geometry is too small.

If they are both groups, make them individually into components.

Select them both.

Move > Copy both of them (together, at the same time) off to the side.

With both selected use the scale tool and scale them up 100x.

Use the solid tools.

Your originals will take the subtraction and you can delete the copies when finished.

1 Like

I think @bmike nailed it. I scaled up by 1000 before the subtract, and it worked fine. It also worked using BoolTools 2.

Hey that worked! Thanks! Although I did not have to scale them up…just turn them into components. I have never had to do the component thing in the past so I am still a bit mystified.

1 Like

Cool. I will try the scaling thing the next time, although making them into components seemed to work on its own. Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t know why converting to components would affect an issue with small size. It is a key element of the “Dave Method”, though, because it lets you move a copy off to the side, scale up the copy, do the operation, and then just delete the copy. The changes automatically get to the original object. No need to scale back down!

The Solid Tools and Bool Tools both work in the 2021 version without making any changes to the model. Maybe something with the QT framework.

I don’t think so. The vanishing act happened on my Mac too.

Out of curiosity I tried the scale technique, and it worked but the object ceased to be the correct dimensions. How do you un scale an object after the subtraction has been made?

You don’t scale up and scale down. Reread my post. You make copies to the side, scale up, make the changes and then delete the copies.

The originals will still be in their place where you created them.

1 Like

You select it again with the scale tool and apply the inverse scale to what you used in scaling it up. If you went up 100x, scale back down by 0.01, etc.

What is this thing and how will you be using the model when it is complete?

In that same vein, did you mean for the top of it to be slightly non-planar? If you turn on view hidden geometry you will see edges leading from the holes to the corners because things aren’t in the same plane.