2020 Pro Installation keeps failing

I always try to manually download and install the Visual C/C++ Runtime packages directly from Microsoft before running an installer for software that has a dependency on them.

Seems like the SketchUp installer has gotten caught in a vicious loop trying to install what it needs for the VC Runtime. This might have the runtime installer in a bad state.

So it may be that the VC Runtime need to be uninstalled and reinstalled manually.

1 Like

Installing using the MSI version can get around the C++ download issues. Try this file:

https://www.sketchup.com/sketchup/2020/SketchUpPro-msi

1 Like

I really appreciate the tip. I had to downgrade because I couldn’t risk losing any more time. It’s a dad gum shame. I’ve never had a problem with the software.

Sounds like a case of your C++ version not being up to date.

Why is this a problem? I always had pride that my machine was in good working order, but I don’t know what I did wrong. Since I can’t lose another entire day messing with it I had to downgrade to 2019 pro. I appreciate your expertise!

I’ll leave it to the Trimble employees to answer the “why”.

What I meant is that over the many years (since ~1986) that I’ve installed software into the MS Windows operating system, I’ve seen many hiccups when installers try to nest the installation of dependent libraries within the main task of installing the application.

I’ve gotten into the habit of exiting such an installer, and manually downloading and installing the dependent library (or necessary version update of it,) as a prerequisite to running the application installer.

2 Likes

Dan,

I really appreciate your insight into all of this. Unless there is a serious benefit to 2020 Pro I probably will just stick with 2019. At least until they patch these issues, but then comes the hassle of upgrading my license through my nonprofit vendor etc.

Please stay safe from the 'rona and have a wonderful week (if possible)!

1 Like

this cannot be patched because this is the way how setup routines do work.

Simply download the redistribution installer of the required MS VC++ 2015 runtime library and install separately, afterwards try installing SUP 2020, both of them by “right-click > Run as Admin”.

I have had software that would not install due to registry settings. I also have had software that would not install period, a fresh copy of Windows took care of that.

1 Like

I have a user will similar issues. I passed on the advice to run [Custom Action Information ] and she got these errors…

First I get the blue warning and if I “run anyway” I get the second error.

Running the MSI this way should get past the error:

msiexec /i SketchUpPro-2020.msi /q

Change SketchUpPro-2020.msi to the actual file name, and you would have CD’d into the folder it is in before running the command. It is a silent install, come back after a while and see if things are good.

Hi

Just wondering if this is something I’ll have to contend with when my new PC arrives.

I’ve been on Mac for years and so things like this kind of worry me, a bit.

Mike

Just today I had the case where the wizard got interrupted. I solved it by doing a Remove and then a new install. For some of the other problems, those are Windows Server OS machines, which you’re unlikely to get.

Most install issues we see are on Windows, but relatively few people get any issues.

Thank you @colin

Hoping mine goes smoothly. I WILL remember to Right Click and Run as Administrator :grinning:

Mike

This might be old, but I was installing this on a virtual machine - and it was failing because the drive was full. No idea if that was the problem (I had two drives, one for windows install and one for data/everything else, and I had forgotten)
The installer didn’t tell me this - but I noticed it failed right as it flashed up a ‘checking drive space’ note.