2017 not launching

There’s no connection between the different versions of SU. They all co-exist fine.

The very first post in this thread mentions the new versions of C++ and .NET framework which are required. Usually the installer will download and install those if missing. But sometimes it doesn’t work as planned. They can be acquired directly from MS.

1 Like

thanks for the response - I have checked C++ and .NET - I have the correct .NET framework installed, and verified that through Windows Update. I cannot find a C++ framework to install on Windows 10. The “Windows 10 UCT update” linked by the first post does not apply to Windows 10, rather, they are for other platforms that require the C libraries that come built in to Win 10. If I’m missing something there, then the link at the top is also wrong, but I haven’t found a C++ new version to install.
I have also checked and I have the latest drivers for my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M video card, and it’s set to default, and SU 2017 and CheckUp are manually set to use it as well from within the NVIDIA control panel.

UPDATE: I found the C++ link here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=53840 and checked that - it was already installed on my system. I can confirm that my problem is NOT a lack of C++, .NET, nor the graphics card problem as described above.

I just Googled “0xc0000022 SketchUp”. Not too many SU references with that error, but reading a few of those and some other promising pages, it seems that error is associated with file permissions.

I’d start by clearing out the permissions cobwebs by uninstalling SU17 then reboot. Install SU17 again. This time under your usual user account > r-click on installer > Run as administrator. If still getting the windows error, this troubleshooting 0xc0000022 error page looks promising.

When program is installed (pre- and post-reinstall), r-click on desktop/start menu SU icon > Properties > Compatibility. Look for Privilege Level. It should NOT be set to Run this program as an administrator.

1 Like

The fix for this issue was to fix/reinstall the C++ libraries:

This is likely related to a bad version of the C++ distributables being installed. If you have version 14.0.24210, that is the culprit. This was a “bad” version of the C++ libraries that caused SU to crash on launch and reaked havoc with other programs as well. I would suggest uninstalling the 14.0.xx versions from Add/Remove programs and reinstalling SketchUp: Download All | SketchUp (this reinstalls the right one)
It looks like that one distributable that was updated mid-December may be causing this issue.

1 Like

Okay, update. After a lot of work with Process Monitor, I was able to identify that some Windows dlls had permissions issues. Updating the dll permissions solved the problem, and now SU2017 is up and running. @catamountain thanks for the help.

2 Likes

To preface, I’m not super great with computers. I know a little, but I’m beyond frustrated with trying to get Sketchup to work. I’ve done all the updates on my computer, both the Windows and the Toshiba ones, and Sketchup will not open. When I double-click on the desktop icon, nothing happens. And I don’t use Layout, but I tried to open that as well just to test it and it crashes immediately. I’m hoping someone can tell me how to fix it. Sketchup 2016 worked fine. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the program at least 10 times. I hope someone can help me fix this!! Thank you in advance!!

Where do I find Checkup???

Checkup download

But @gmcsnow514, I see in your profile that your computer has integrated Intel graphics. One of the next troubleshooting steps is checking if it can support a driver that supports OpenGL 3.0.

Review the following for instructions on where to find info on your graphic hardware and driver

Thanks @catamountain. I actually found Checkup, and that gave me an error too! But I will follow the link you posted and see if I can get somewhere. I appreciate it! Thank you!

I read through much of the link you posted but it is way over my head. Can you explain to me in more simple terms how to see if my card supports the OpenGL?

Identify your graphics hardware

Sorry I just saw your reply now. I pulled up the DirectX Diagnostic Tool and here is some of the info::

Name: Intel (R) HD Graphics 4000
Chip Type: HD Graphics Family
Approx. Total Memory: 1792 MB

Driver Version: 10.18.10.3345
Date: 11/4/2013
Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.3

It says the DirectDraw Acceleration, the Direct3D Acceleration, and the AGP Texture Acceleration are all Enabled.

Does this help?

Yes it helps. Your Intel HD Graphics 4000 is notorious for OpenGL errors. If possible you should look into getting a more capable graphics such as from NVidia (search the forum, there are lots of topics about which ones are good) . At minimum you should check with your vendor and see whether they have a newer driver available - I believe there are known issues with 10.18.10.3345. Even with a newer driver, though, the 4000 may not be adequate for SU 2017.

Thank you for your feedback @slbaumgartner! I went on to the Intel website and there are 9 downloads for that driver for Windows 8.1. The latest version says Version 15.33.43.4425 Date 5/13/2016. I can download it in a .exe file or a .zip file for 64-bit, so I did the zip file. I will post an update after I complete this process!

@slbaumgartner- I downloaded the ZIP file and extracted and clicked Setup. An error popped up saying “The driver being installed is not validated for this computer.” Gosh! They make this so complicated! Should I try the next oldest version from that one?

Check the site for the manufacturer of your computer. They should have something that works specifically with their hardware.

Thank you- I will try that. Ever since I did all these Windows Updates and Toshiba Updates, other programs stopped working too. Internet Explorer just randomly pops up an error. I’ve endured way too much frustration over getting this Sketchup to install!

@slbaumgartner- So with all the issues, I decided to a complete system recovery on the laptop. I had no files on this and just use it for internet access when I’m not on my MAC at home. The basic computer came with this version of the Intel 4000: 9.17.10.2828 (7/31/2012). I installed and ran the OpenGL Extensions Viewer and it gave me more information but I don’t quite know what it means. It says that the OpenGL Version is 4.0. Is that compatible with Sketchup 2017?

SketchUp 2017 requires OpenGL 3.0 minimum, so in theory v4.0 should be more than adequate. However, there are bugs in some manufacturer’s OpenGL implementations that can cause problems for SketchUp anyway. Intel’s HD Graphics are particularly notorious for this. If you can’t add a second adapter and updating to the latest driver doesn’t help, you may be out of luck with SU 2017.

You could try SU 2016 instead. It has the older, less-demanding SketchUp OpenGL usage and also a preference switch to turn off hardware acceleration. Running with acceleration off will make SketchUp sluggish in some situations, but if it works that’s proof that your graphics adapter isn’t up to the task.

1 Like

Thank you for explaining it so clearly for me. I will give it one more chance, and if it doesn’t work, I’ll go back to 2016 as that was more than adequate for what I use this for. I will just have to downgrade my other PC as well because I send the files back and forth, hence why I had to update to begin with! Thank you again for your help. Much appreciated!!