2016 Installation Fails to Run

Surprisingly old thread here but I will add my 2 cents. I just downloaded the 16.1.2418 dmg package. Opened. Dragged SketchUp to the Applications folder in the finder window that appeared.

me: “Thats strange, why was I not prompted that the folder exists?”

Try to open, PowerPC error. Notice it is in the system Applications folder and not the user one. Deleted it, and reopened the .dmg (didn’t even download a new copy). This time I manually put into my user Applications folder. Works fine!

So anyway, I cant quite remember where SketchUp is supposed to live. I know at one time the recommendation moved from the system to the user folder (or the other way around). Regardless, copying to my user Application folder did the trick for me.

Applications normally instal to the HD path so they work for all users…

it’s the User files that now all live in the User paths…

there is a thread about the PPC error…

john

The nature of the error is that for some as yet unknown reason the launch services fails to update its data correctly when sketchup is installed. It omits the flag that indicates intel, and subsequently OS X thinks the app is PPC (because there was no flag when PPC was all we had). The topic by Thayer linked earlier gives several ways to fix the problem.

In my case, i just move the app file from the Sketchup folder to Application folder. And it works fine. If i put the file back in its subfolder, it doesn’t work again.