200mm fan (hole) doesn't fit enclosure meant for it?

It doesn’t fit into the HDD drive holder, which dimensions are apparently 11.2cm x 14.6cm x 17cm (width x depth x height). The HDD’s are mounted in vertical position.

I haven’t bought it yet, but here’s the link to a sample on ebay: Ebay HDD enclosure + 120mm fan space

I just can’t figure it out… The measurements are the same in sketchup, I triple checked.

What a mystery. Any ideas?

How about sharing the SKP file so we have a hope of helping you?

justTheMbScaledRight.skp (2.4 MB)

Thank you.

Looking at the photos in the eBay ad, it’s clear that the fan screen frame is larger than the box that holds the HDDs. If these dimensions are critical, why don’t you buy the enclosure and take accurate measurements from it.

How are you planning to use the SketchUp model, anyway? How critical can the dimensions be?

You’re right, it is larger. I didn’t notice…

The measurements are critical to the point of… being able to build a computer case for the SWTX motherboard and fit in everything that’s needed. Motherboard, plate that holds the MB, PSU, wires, fans, HDD enclosure(s), cpu coolers. There’s still a lot to do however I am doing my best to make the model as accurate as possible without owning some of the things. Currently I only have the PSU and the motherboard.

As for the material… probably wood or plexiglass.

I still need to calculate how heavy everything will be because I’m not sure how thick the material should be and I don’t know how to do the cable management part yet and even if the PSU wires will be able to bend enough not to hinder the 200mm fan to the left. I would like the wires to be mostly behind the motherboard though and I probably want to add another HDD cage like that to the top left of the case as well.

I don’t have much building experience and I am very new to sketchup as well… At least I figured out that I should make every component well… a component. Otherwise the learning curve was awkward because I only used a little bit of 3D studio max and GTK radiant in the past.

I would get all of the components first. That’ll give you an opportunity to take accurate measurements if everything before you are committed. Then you can also do things like draw the circles for the fans so they are smoother circles.

Wise advice.

Just a while ago I was in the process of choosing the components (and I still kind of am for some things) because I want everthing I need to fit into the case, but have good airflow and the case as compact as possible. It’s already quite huge.
Can’t get one without sacrificing another…

Thank you Dave.

Good luck with the build. It’s kind of fun to build a computer up from scratch.

Thanks! My first build :slight_smile:
A challenging yet exciting project.

I’ll be sure to post my finished build and hopefully the process as well on the forums.

1 Like

I have built several desk top PCs and never had to use SU or any program for that effort. Why you are doing that has me at a loss. The tower , motherboard , slots for various cards, power supply + cables + pin outs etc are all designed to industry standards. Usually the case has the power supply cage included in its cost and often the power supply its self.
It sounds like you have a mismatch with what the case is designed for and the parts you need to install and it would be a good idea to start what design you want, the select case that meets the requirement and go form there. If you have not done this before you should invest in a how book and save your self lots of grief.
I have dealt with New EGG and Tiger direct before you should be able to buy all the needed parts at dealres like them.
In my designs the fan is not installed in the drive cage. You have a small the mounts over the CPU and the one mounted some where in the case for case cooling. The number of fans and size will be based on what thermal load is=> based on your design.
In the past one had to be careful with PS PIN out interface since some designs did not meet standard. DELL was notorious for that but …

It sounds to me like he’s building his own case, which is entirely different than assembling a custom selection of components into a pre-built case. I have done both, and I would probably use SketchUp if I were to do a custom case again. It could be a great way to do some troubleshooting on the front end, and to see if the concept works, both technically and aesthetically. Best of luck, theodor2005!

1 Like

However the dimension info you are given, location holes etc will not support that IMHO.
In fact the link the OP gave for the drive cage in my mine shows the fan mounting appears to snap into place one the end of the cage and by design is larger as op model shows but has clips for that install per the pics shown. The SU model is worthless.

I will think if I really need a fan there, but it would really be nice to give the HDD’s some cooling. Cool drives = longer lifespan.

If you have other cooling/airflow suggestions, take into account that I changed the orientation of the MB so that the output and PSU exhaust (the backside of the computer) is on the right side of the case, as opposed to what is common. Also there will be two Risercards there which will orient the PCI-E extentions (video cards and other stuff) parallel in regards to the MB, so I will probably need another smaller fan at the back of the case (right side) but that means a bigger intake is in order to retain positive air pressure. The motherboard model is next to the case in the sketchup file I attached.

I need the sketchup model to see if all of my chosen components will fit and have precise measurements on hand. Also good to know how much material I would need to buy to assemble the case.

Newegg and the likes won’t do because I live in Europe.

(As for the standards, they differ a bit because it is a server SWTX (supermicro) motherboard. No other case is large enough for the MB unless I want to hack n’ slash a 150 dollar HAF case and still have major problems)

A basic mantra in all ‘building’ - from skyscraper, though furniture and down to computers…
Is to measure from previous work, and confirm.
You cannot rely on details from suppliers being 100% accurate.
You cannot rely on your [or others] building skills being 100% accurate.
Assuming you have at least some comfort in approximate sizes etc…
So get all of the bits, then measure them, then design, then start to build… then remember to redesign as you go - things will ‘creep’ or ‘shrink’, and fit less well that you might have hoped, even then !

2 Likes

Quick search shows case for SWTX MB cab be bought but because of large number bay expensive. There are many other design considerations that go into design: thermal, EMC, cables and PIN outs, performance monitoring. Do you know that teflon cabels have a triple point just like H2o and occurs at room temp where the phase delay makes a significant jump, typical MIL spec cable sheilding effectiveness is like 45 dB while CAT 5 cable is 90 dB. With serial interfaces the clock / eye opening must be controlled properly. I have even had to send techs to school to get certified to install the type of connectors used. Positive air flow pressure is only the start you want to control the base / emitter junction temps to <= 125 c for good reliable design. One of the MARs lander designs we actually milled ribs in bottom of case to force good thermal junction to mounting base plate.
Good Luck on your effort hope you have a good PC when done.

1 Like