1928 Chevy Pickup model - Several questions

Hi everybody.

Looking for some woodworking toys and cars I found one which took my attention, it was the Chevrolet Pickup from 1928 (not sure about the date). It took me some time to identify what model it was, then I compilated similar woodworking pictures from different points of view and a 1930-1931 Ford model A blueprint from its side view which it’s pretty similar to the model I was insterested so I used it as reference.

These were the pictures I got, not all of them are the same, they make little differences.

My goal was to get almost a final result and then ask here several questions related to the process to model it, because it was harder than I thought, and it’s probably because I haven’t practice or study enough.

These are pictures of what I got as result so far (I maybe include something new or decide to fix something).

I attach the .skp file here: old_chevy_pickup.skp (2.7 MB)

I made components for everything and some groups (maybe it wasn’t a good idea at all) inside certain components for little details I don’t want to get glue/snap, I think DaveR recommended components for everything or almost everything but the reason why I didn’t was because I don’t want a big list of components which I don’t know which is which). It’s also complicate to find a name that you can identify later what piece is, even with the thumbnail.

I’d really appreciate if some of you inspect the file to know your opinions, things I did wrong, things I did right. I have lot of questions but I think I can start with these ones:

• Some recommendations for the name of the components?
  • Should I do more components inside another ones?
  • Does it look too tight?
  • It would easy to change the width or it would require to draw from scratch certain shapes?
  • About the mudguard / splashboard it would possible to round it? I tried with follow me tool but I didn’t get the result I expected (like in the real woodworking picture). I didn’t try with round corners extension because I’d like to do with as many native tools as possible.
  • For example I had some troubles for the lights, what I finaly did was I draw a line along the one I drew the different parts and then I moved every piece along one of the axes, finaly I deleted the line.
  • For the door handle I did something similar, I drew two lines making an L shape and then the differents pieces along the path.
  • About the wheels, I wasn’t able to find a middle point inside the wheel to place the cilinders shapes so I did an aproximation. The same happen for the large cylinder that connects the wheels and probably for other things I don’t remember right now.
  • If you see the model from the bottom view you’ll realized wheels are in the air.
  • There is no steering wheel (I’m still in time to draw it).

As I said I’d like to get recommendations, things wrong and some ways to fix it, if it’s not in this model in a future one.

EDIT to add one more question: When you compile several pictures as I did to use them as reference for your model, how do you manage all of them? I’m know with two monitors and I think it wasn’t enough. Is there any easy way to know their ratios / proportions?

Thank you so much.

Nice Model!

I think your model will be better, if you have seamless wood and another texture for whell ans so one

Thank you guys, yep, I used one of the default textures I would choose another one better.

Try to pick up a texture on https://www.textures.com/

Create a login and after yoou can download a seamless picture (about the wood), for example and after try to download Twilight Render 2 (free version), you will see your model will be awsome.

One last thing, I guess your model is real measure

1 Like

Wood grain textures don’t need to be seamless. Real wood isn’t seamless.

Hi, I’m just taking a look at your model, I really like it.

I see that the sides are a series of components within a group (nested). I think you should get rid of the group and make components.

I say this because I used to do exactly the same thing and kick myself for it each time I open an old model. It makes so much more work with the groups, when you want to change something later. If they were components and you add another component within (say a trim for example) it will automatically be added to the other side. The way you have things set up at the moment, you would have to copy that component into the other group side.

I hope you understand!

Oh also,
You could hide the centreline that runs through the model, that tidies it up a little too.
I see the spokes, axel and hub as well as other parts are also groups. Again, I would only use components to make changes easier down the road.

You don’t really have to make the changes for this model, just things to bear I mind in the future. I hope you don’t think I’m being too critical, I just mean to share errors of my ways and hopefully help you.

1 Like

I would agree with Ian.

The model looks ok but due to the way you’ve created it, you’ve made it difficult to work with.

1 Like

Well, Dave showed me “the light” and I’m so glad he did, thanks Dave. :+1:

1 Like

Thank you guys.

@Thorleyian, I understood everything (I use the translator for the things I wasn’t sure what they mean), you’re being as much critical as I asked for it, so thank you again.

TIG and DaveR gave me a graphical explanation sharing your point about why using components is a better choice.

I realized that I uploaded the wrong .skp file, the “right” one has the middle lines hidden as you suggested and there is no a group for each side, only components but I still have some groups inside certain components.

I attach the .right skp file if someone want to give it some utility it has also a couple of details more, the symbol that looks like a pawn from a chess table on the front and the bumper.

car3.skp (3.0 MB)

Thank you.

it’s not my intention to be so annoying but as I wrote a long text in my last post I will write only the questions in a different one.

Is 3 MegaBytes ok for a file like this?

Does anyone know why this follow me tool process fails or how I can fix it? (I didn’t try with round corner extension because I wanted to use as many native tools as possible).

If I wanted to make the model wider, I would need to redraw certain shapes from scratch as for example the mudguard/splashboard (not sure about the word).

Can someone give an example of a model well structured in their opinion, I mean with everything or almost everything made components? maybe someone from 3D warehouse?

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.