Complicated Woodworking Project

Hello All,

I’m sorry kind of new to Sketch up Pro but I hope someone out there can help

I need help with how to breakdown a model I created. I am woodworker hobbyist and I have designed the model I intend on building but I need to break down the model to show how to make it step by step. I have tried multiple ways including adding scenes and layers but I ended up with like 30 scenes and I need to reduce that by half

End Table Oak _ Main Model.pdf (154.9 KB)

End Table Oak _ Main Model.skp (1.1 MB)

I am also thinking that Layout would probably help me out a lot but I have never used it before

Does anyone have any ideas

How about sharing the SKP file?

Yes. Definitely. LayOut would help. I create professional woodworking plans using SketchUp and LayOut and they work together perfectly.

Hi Dave,

Just attached the SKP file, I figured Layout would help but no ideas need to do some homework and I just bought a book called Sketchup to layout

That book will give you a start.

Who is your audience for these plans? Do you have to show step by step assembly instructions?

Hi Dave

There for me, but I also sell plans on Etsy and through my website … so the general public will need to understand them…

Typically the sorts of folks who would tackle a project like this will manage just fine with an assembled view, an exploded view and some dimensioned 3-view drawing of the parts.

Before you worry about creating the plan, you’ll want to fix up the model. A few things from a first look:

Check all of the dimensions closely. Some of them are not very precise. For example the front left leg is about 1-17/32 by 1-1/2 by 25-1/4. I expect you want it to be 1-1/2 in. square, right?
The dimension from outside to outside of the front legs is about 16-1/64 in.
A lot of other dimensions need attention, too.
The "Front Drawer Support is missing a bunch of geometry.
The dovetails on the drawer front are wrong and will have no strength.
The drawer pull is off center.

I would draw the model so that its front is along the red axis so that standard views make sense.
Your model could be much more efficient if you don’t split out the components as you have. One component for the back legs, one for the front, one for the side aprons, etc.

FWIW, this is the first of three sheets of plans for a Shaker Style Workbench done in LayOut. Much more complex than your table. I’ve turned off the various text layers. There’s plenty of information to build it without showing a step by step assembly process.

2 Likes

Think about how you’d build the piece in real life. That should give you a good idea about how to present the construction in sequence. So, for example, mill the legs and cut their mortises in step 1. Mill the front-to-back stretchers and cut their mortises and tenons in step 2. Mill the vertical side slats in step 3. Assemble the sides–legs, stretchers, and slats–in step 4. And so on.
You also need to decide how detailed you need to be in your SketchUp views and the accompanying illustrations. To that end, I’d suggest taking a good look at some of the plans presented in Fine Woodworking magazine; their designers and art directors always manage to pack a lot of information into a small space, without making everything too cluttered.
Dave R’s suggestion to use LayOut is excellent. You can use it to show multiple views of the same object, and to easily add dimensions and instructions. The SketchUp to LayOut book is good; it helped me understand the basics of LayOut.
Hope this helps.
Best,
dh

3 Likes

Hi Dave, Just want to say your awesome this is exactly what I need someone who knows what there talking about both with Sketchup and Real world woodworking

In regards to our comments;
Check all of the dimensions closely. Some of them are not very precise. For example the front left leg is about 1-17/32 by 1-1/2 by 25-1/4. I expect you want it to be 1-1/2 in. square, right?
Your right, Ill need to address that
The dimension from outside to outside of the front legs is about 16-1/64 in.
Wow that’s a good catch, Thanks
The "Front Drawer Support is missing a bunch of geometry.
(I’m not sure what you mean!!! what geometry)
The dovetails on the drawer front are wrong and will have no strength.
(To be honest I used a 1:8 ratio since its for a hardwood, and also I will be cheating and using a Dovetail router jig in making them, The porter cable jig lays out everything )
The drawer pull is off center.
I knew that its just hard to position items such as these because all the angles are rounded and cant use the rotation tool as well

Should I just redo the entire model!!!

That’s a great idea with the Fine Woodworking… Thanks

Look on the bottom of that component. There’s a big hole.

That’s not cheating. As drawn, your dovetails will pull apart with no trouble.The drawer front needs other work, too.

That doesn’t need to be a reason for the pull being off center.

More coming after I fix your model.

Look on the bottom of that component. There’s a big hole.

Jesus I didn’t see that, wow your really good. I guess I have a long way to

n regards to our comments;

I do need it 1.5 sq but as you can see from my model drawing it is…am I not looking at the proper leg

Front left leg.pdf (129.3 KB)

left leg.layout (1.7 MB)

also curious how you drop pictures into these treads

I only measured the front left leg and that’s the dimensions I got.

Just upload the images in the same way you have been attaching your files.

So I redrew your table with precise dimensions throughout. I took a few liberties with the joinery to reduce the number of setups required Notice how the dovetails look in my version of your drawer. They will lock together while yours won’t. I should change the dovetail layout a bit but I think you get the idea.Since you already had the drawer kickers in place, I added runners and spacers to guide the drawer. No need for runners in grooves in the drawer sides.

3 Likes

Jesus Dave THANKS SO MUCH… can I download this to sketchup

Check your private messages.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.