SketchUp 2017 is here!

That’s Occam’s razor - though Einstein may have quoted it.

1 Like

Sadly the line(way to thick) control quality is lacking, only a small handful of plugins and extensions load and a heartbreaking trend toward newness over usefulness is the theme of 2017…

Hi there!

Simple question:

Where are the materials?
When I click on the paint bucket nothing pops up.

Window>Default Tray>Materials

Thank you!!!

I downloaded and installed 2017 about 3 weeks ago. I was unaware - read ‘had forgotten’ - that each new release is a standalone and not an update; so I still have work to do to get 2017 up to where my 2016 was. That’s A-OK. I just wish that the release announcement had mad a big fuss about the fact so as to remind us geezers and occasional users about bringing our old ‘stuff’ over to the new version. That is the only criticism I have: Not making it bluntly and unquestionably clear that a new install doesn’t displace the old install nor does it bring over enhancement. Please JUST GET A BIG HAMMER AND HIT ME IN THE HEAD TO MAKE SURE I GET THE MESSAGE!

Now, yesterday, I get a notice that there is a new version to download. I downloaded it but have not run the .exe. I’m uncertain what to do. I know I’m old (74 chasing 75) and not on the razor’s edge like I was in the '60s with BAL and FORTRAN and COBOL and PASCAL and BASIC and PL/1, et al; but I think it short-sighted for Trimble (with apologies for complaining about a free product guys) to put out a new release or new version without informing the user community about what it might mean for the versions they have been running.

Could someone please tell this old fahrter (German for ‘traveler’) what he should do with the update to 2017?

Slinking back under the grandstand and hoping no one will notice . . .

1 Like

Hi RH,

You are a riot, and I invite you to continue coming out from your grandstand and…well…grandstand more often!

Given that going between major versions of SketchUp means starting over in some cases (as you described), your being apprehensive to install the update seems perfectly normal. In this case, maintenance releases install over your existing 2017 so that your preferences are saved. You shouldn’t have to reconfigure anything.

And many thanks for your feedback regarding the effort it can take to get up and running with a new version of SketchUp. I literally envisioned a hammer swinging in the wild saying, “you’ll need to customize your SketchUp again!” We’ll absolutely consider improving the messaging as well as investigate ways that we can make the transition go smoother between major versions of SketchUp.

Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks, Tommy!

Old-timers, like me, are often affected by “sometimers syndrome.” Sometimes we remember and sometimes we don’t know what day of the week it is.

You guys do an excellent job with the product. I really like what I’ve seen of 2017. Please don’t construe my comments as criticism. I was only trying to point out that those of us who don’t use the product constantly are prone to forget things that are part and parcel of the fabric or every-day life for you.

So, please retain the image of the hammer swinging at my head next time you come out with a new release and hit us geezers who need it squarely over the head. You might even mentally picture the Roadrunner dropping a hammer on Wiley Coyote! Meep! Meep!

regards, rh

How about:

1 Like

Wish I could learn to draw stuff like that. I wonder what all tools you have to use to produce that kind of stuff.

Still trying to learn.

@rabbithutch I am certainly in your camp. There is a saying “As We Age” and I have it down pat.

WOW! But where is the hammer or anvil?

Wow! Do you have this as a SketchUp model? Preferably without the pencils - so as to 3d print one for my desk!

The mug is something I modeled for the SketchUp Sage site. A former co-worker used the mug to hold pencils. Somewhere out there the mugs are still for sale.

A 100 lb anvil is currently part of the “decor” in my living room.

I googled “Wiley E Coyote Mug” and found a number of places I could buy the official Warner Brothers plastic one from 1992. But I like the sketchy style of your model better!

4 posts were split to a new topic: Load Errors on launch

A post was merged into an existing topic: Error Loading File C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/Tools/langhandler.rb Error: #<LoadError: cannot load such file – C:/Program File

Sketchup 2017 for Windows 8.1 is too restricted its installation, at least if the system update requirements will find them in its installation. I wanted to install SketchUp 2017 in one way or another and it does not allow me (as administrator, turned off the antivirus, after all an updated etc)! What happens with SketchUp 2017 in Windows 8.1 are not forcing us to switch to Windows 10?

error: No installed UNIVERSAL CRT (Hotfix KB2999265), Execution visual C++“14” x64, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (x86 y x64):preocupado:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (= rev. 14)

install the runtime libs above (as well as SU) by “rclick > run-as admin”

I exactly have same issue as you. It is not small problem for our cad in Japan.I also wanna get it as “slapi.dll” to solve 32bit issue.

Where? Haven´t found any difference yet :frowning:

Maybe you should overhaul the whole engine and make SU Multicore-capable?