SketchUp PRO 2018

I think this is a great release with lots of improvements for extension developers as well as Pro users…

heres a sample of one new ‘under the hood’ feature that would kill v17…

image-rep

that’s a 200MB image sequence…

may be pointless, but others will exploit it in more relevant ways…

NB: I’ll probably get sued by Paddition Bear, but I did work on the Physical Effects for that sequence…

john

11 Likes

Hopefully - Layout enhancements will kill my need to use AutoCad for anything 2D :slight_smile: :smile::):heart_eyes:

2 Likes

YES, I totally agree! It is a GREAT release!

I don’t spend a lot of time on these forums, but in my opinion Sketchup Pro 2018 is one of the best releases in years Maybe EVER. I’ve seen negative comments on this forum, and I wanted to lend some support. I think its a brilliant, versatile release. Truly useful features added without adding any significant complexity. Multiple subtle changes that make creating documents far more useful and practical. For the 1st time, Sketchup is a very serious complete platform vs. the established and overly complex CAD (or BIM) programs out there. Anything can be done now with far fewer odd workarounds. Its a major leap forward for a practical “Sonder-esque” drawing process.

3 Likes

I seriously thanks the sketchup team for this AMAZING release. Most of the improvements were in my which list. Thank you SketchUp Team to have listen to me. Thank you SketchUp to make my life better every year. Thank you.

2 Likes

Does sketchup 2018 did something to the zoom scroll? It ia free wheeling even when i stop scrolling. How do i fix it?

Not for my mouses. Are you using a driver supplied by the mouse manufacturer, like SetPoint from Logitech, and, if you are,is it up to date? Is your display driver up to date?

I did not expect to see an animated texture this release! Do you know if anyone has made a guide for how to accomplish this, or is it a little too far “under the hood”? I’m no programmer but I’d love to be able to implement this feature some how.

Agreed, this is a fantastic release!

I was thinking of writing a extension when I did the example above…

another proof of concept I made was for testing lots of materials quickly…

@SamG, what would be your use case…

john

Hey @john_drivenupthewall I’m butting in here. I sometimes incorporate video projection or screens into my designs and would love to be able to render image sequences inside sketchup. I often use place-holder images or test bars or green screen as a surface treatment for projection surfaces but putting even a short pixelated clip of the real content would be dynamite. Much easier to visualize and create using the real thing. My 2¢, but I would pay more than that for a working video surface plugin.

here’s a gif of the other experiment…

bit clumsy and mac only atm…

texture_sampler_50

it relatively easy to use ‘per session’ but much harder to ‘store’ in the model and keep the file size down…

@endlessfix, if you can PM me an example .skp and an image set, mp4 or .mov, I can see what I can come up with…

if your model has a slide show I can see if I can save out a movie/image sequence that includes the texture flow…

john

3 Likes

That’s a really cool; I didn’t even consider the possibility of quick-switching through material swatches. My situation is more similar to endlessfix, I typically go gamma green on active surfaces, but it could be great to have the ability to more realistically visualize animated content in my environmental work.

Also, your example was so impressive to me that I feel inspired to see what else can be done under the hood but it’s a little daunting to approach and I suspect maybe that’d just involve learning ruby starting at square one.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.