SketchUp 2017 is here!

The changes are entirely “beneath the hood”. Other than improved performance (which may depend on your graphics adapter) and fixes for some bugs, you aren’t going to see anything explicit.

What improvement would you expect to see from that? There are many discussions here and elsewhere regarding multicore/multi-threading. Spend a few minutes reading.

Well, personally i would really like and need more overall performance while editing. Personally i do not longer care about saving 2D images in some kind of free hand style via SketchUp, because i render everything with Thea Render, so the SU internal renderpipeline isn´t used by me anymore.

But editing huge Models sometimes really is no fun. If i compare SU with, lets say … 3D Max or C4D, their Editor is a lot more fluent. Sure, with optimizing components and using layers you can “work around” in some way, but the performance should be better on modern 4 oder 8 core CPUs …

I read in some discussion some time ago, that the core routines of SU are just “old”, from a time, when there were no multi-core CPUs, and that basicly much of the code had to be re-written, sounds legit, but i do not exactly if thats the point …

It isn’t? So you don’t look at your SketchUp model on screen? Do you just model by sound? Or by feel?

Evidently you need to learn more about how things work. The bottleneck in your modeling comes from the way your GPU processes what it sends to the screen. It’s not your CPU.

Sorry, but i think you do not know what rendering in this case means, right? I am talking about Modelling - the Editor - not SketchUp internal Rendering => Exporting the 3D Image with a style ::wink:

And i dont think an i7 4970K / 32 GByte RAM / 2x GTX980 is too slow …

I do know what you are referring to but you must be using SketchUp’s rendering pipeline to get an image displayed on screen so you can see what you are doing when you are modeling.

weired that all other makers of 3D modelers, even in the 20k+ U$ price range, do not use multiple cores for modeling operations too… must be a conspiracy to force users to buy the highest-clocked intel CPU avail. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Well - then the performance enhancements of the “pipeline” just aren´t that good :slight_smile:

Then please tell me why the SU Modeller is so ■■■■ laggy in some cases, compared to MODO for instance :slight_smile:

because your models are HUGE … see “Window > Model Information > Statistics > Whole Model”

SketchUp is a polygon modeler (faceted wireframe), MODO is a NURBS modeler (spline curves based surfaces/solids) aka comparing ‘apples with pears’.

1 Like

MODO supports NURBS, that does not mean that it´s not a Polygon Modeller.

And how do you know, how huge my Models are if i may ask?

with the same inference capabilties interactively referencing everything to everything?

I have looked in my :crystal_ball:

just kiddin’ …derived knowledge, everything slow is either big and/or not adhering to the optimized modeling techniques.

SU 2016:

vs.

SU 2017:

2 Likes

In addition to the improvements the new rendering pipeline has already brought the new fresh codebase probably makes it a lot easier to add new features in the future too.

How does someone using SketchUp 2.4 Make (which never existed in the first place) on XP with a non-existent graphics card even know about using LayOut?
Screenshot%20-%205_25_2019%20%2C%203_32_41%20PM

intuition.