SketchUp 2017 is here!

Hi everyone! Please, consider to support for more time the 32 bit versions of windows. With this new update there are some improvements that I was really looking for, but I have just a 32 bit architecture. I’m sure that who need sketchup for professional use has all the devices up to date with the 64 bit architecture, but that is not true for many of those who (like me) use sketchup make for non professional use, and have a little bit older machine. Please at least create a new version of sketchup make 32 bit with the improvement about tools, like new interactions, transparency ecc. maybe without some of almost professional tools that most of non-profesional users doesn’t need, in order to have a more fluid software without needs of a 64 bit machine (I admit that I don’t know anything about developing a software so, sorry if I said some stupid things). Reading the words “Our robot found that your computer is not compatible with the new version… please download an older version… etc” it seems to me like an old friend that say "Yeah, we spent a great time together in the past, and you can thinking about it everytime, whatching our old pictures… but, please, for the future… one step back! so sad! :frowning::sob:

@TJEP, each SU version is a unique installation, with new Ruby, net.framework, C++, OpenGL requirements/enhancements. So a number of user-customized things are not migrated out of older versions of SU and placed into the latest installations of SU.

However, keyboard shortcuts can be transferred. To save resetting keyboard shortcuts. In prior SU version, go to Window > Preferences > Shortcuts > Export. That produces a .DAT file you can import to the latest SU upgrade as well as quickly setting up other computers.with your favorite settings.

As stated above, I have set my shortcuts and, in fact, export my user preferences. The shortcut is not the issue, it’s the fact that the component dialog window is opened each time I want to create a new component and it appears that I am no longer able to quickly convert a group to a component with a shortcut command.

The dialog has always appeared when creating a new component. The difference is that it now appears when converting from group too. However you can just press enter if you don’t want to write anything.

This is what we have been waiting for

Just thought I’d check the dimensions updating automatically in Layout when you make a change to the SketchUp model, and it only seems to work for linear dimensions. Is it just me, or is this the case?

Looks like some nice upgrades. But I’m still waiting for proper texturing and UV support. Any news on that front?

Still just using SketchUp Make 2017 for the first time, but encountering some difficulties. The space bar used to switch to the Select tool, but now it seems to do nothing. If you go to Windows>Preferences and select Shortcuts, no matter which tool or line item you select SketchUp will not display the shortcut, and the + and - keys are greyed out, so you cannot add or modify shortcuts. Major bummer. I hope this was not done so as to intentionally “nerf” the Make environment, and that something is wrong in my setup.

it’s your setup, nothing has been ‘nerfed’…

did you instal as administrator?

john

1 Like

I’m not sure what, but something is definitely wrong with your specific setup. Nothing about the keyboard preferences was changed in SketchUp 2017 Make.

1 Like

@john_drivenupthewall and @slbaumgartner, thanks for the awesome reply. Because my ID is an admin, I did not think to [right click]>Rum as Administrator. Good call. The edit/add shortcut functions work as expected after an uninstall/install cycle. Much appreciated.

Hi, I’m very new to Sketch Up, I’m about 5 minutes into the first YouTube vid on how to use Sketch Up and I’ve hit two snags.

1. I can’t type in the length I want; the box won’t accept any input whatsoever.
  2. The default measurement is in metres; how can I change that to cm or mm?
  3. I find the animation in the right sidebar really distracting. How can I turn that off?

Thanks.

Judanne

@Judanne

Comments in line:

Do NOT click in the measurements box, just start typing!

From the menus: Window → Model Info -->Units

Change what you need

Click the downward pointing triangle (aka down arrow) to the left of “Instructor”

This will collapse the “Instructor”, hiding it from view

given the questions you asked I suggest you leave Instructor turned on !

gsharp: Animations in the background can be extremely annoying so I understand everyone who immediately hides them to be able to concentrate on the viewport. I actually think it would be quite beneficial to have the animation paused until the user moves the mouse onto the instructor.

Judanne: Whether you display the instructor or not I can recommend to keep an eye on the status bar. SketchUp tools usually write a short sentence or two there telling how to use the tool and what modifier keys there are. If that information isn’t enough the instructor may contain more.

Thank you so much. I never would have guessed ‘model info’ held
measurements. :slight_smile:

I’m happy with instructor, it’s the animation I can’t stand. (I’m ADD).

1 Like

The animations is an accessibility issue. Trimble has started working more on accessibility for version 2017 by allowing people to change the axes color and I’d be very happy if someone looked into these animations too.

Does anyone see any downside by having the animations paused until the user moves the cursor onto the instructor? Maybe a play/paus button is better? The animations can be very helpful to give a fast hint of what the tool does but many users simply can’t have it flickering in their views. This means these users can’t have the instructor open while working in SketchUp.

Technically it is quite easy to implement. A script can be made that extract the first grame of the GIF as a separate image file and save it by a file name similar to that of the old file. Then a few lines of javascript can detect the mouse entering/leaving the instructor and change the src attribute of the img element accordingly.

the simplest way is to convert the gif to not loop

# example using gifsicle
gifsicle  in.gif --no-loopcount > out.gif 

then replace the current redirect with

onclick="this.src = this.src"

for an image reload…

john

I think your example is a little bit too simple. “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” as Einstein may have said.

Users wont know they need to click the image to start the animations (will they even know where the image ends?). Listening to the whole document being focused will react when the user scrolls it or clicks anywhere in it. Listening to the mouse entering it will react for all users who spontaneously move their cursor to the text they read. Also if it plays once whenever the instructor is reloaded the distraction will be there whenever you switch tool, which you normally do more often than the length of the animation causing the animation to run constantly when you model.