Projecting image over terrain

Hi can you link the unwanted result ?

Note the breakup in Upper left

thanks for quick reply

Ok and what is the image you have to drop.

Ahh! I think I got the solution. I had been importing the jpeg as an image instead of as a texture. But I had not context-clicked and made it a projected texture. Even when I did this I then forgot to re-sample the image with the eyedropper tool.

It now appears fine.

But, I swear that last week it worked well by importing the jpeg as an image and then some combination of grouping /ungrouping / sampling allowed me to use the paint bucket and it worked.

What a relief!

Is there a good up-to-date tut on this?

Many thanks… I have a deadline and was going nuts

1 Like

This function did never change, so “up-to-date” is relative :wink:

2 Likes

Here’s a method that may work for you.

Above your terrain, create a single plane of geometry, the same size or a bit larger than the terrain.
Paint the plane with the texture.
Edit the texture transparency so you can see through it to the terrain below.

Set the camera in Top View and Parallel Projection.
Position the texture in relation to the terrain as needed.
Position Texture Tool — SketchUp Help

When the texture is in the proper position, right context click on the face > Texture > Projected
Turn off hidden geometry.
Smooth the terrain if necessary. It must be a Surface … Not individual Faces.
Soften Edges Dialog Box— SketchUp Help

Open the terrain group for editing.
Note your texture on the plane above is grayed out when you open the terrain group for editing.
No worries … the texture is still there.

Sample the projected texture with the Paint Bucket + Alt
Click the paint Bucket tool on the surface of the terrain.
Close the terrain group.
Done.

8 Likes

Watched every video available, including most of Sketchup’s, and was literally pulling my freakin’ hair out trying to find what I had missed – so frustrated!!! Then, on 3rd day, took one more shot, and found this explanation. SO SIMPLE and right on the mark!!! Maybe I’m still dense, but at least I’m now moving forward again, and will never forget this solution. THANK YOU!

1 Like

Hello,
New to sketchup and Im using a jpeg to color my terrain, ive sone smoothing on the terrrain but it still show up all garbled.

This is what the image looks like.

When the texture is in the proper position, right context click on the face > Texture > Projected

As a guess it looks like you have applied the texture to a closed group rather than the actual surface.
But without seeing your model we can only guess.

I did and it shows as projected but still get the same result.

I’m not sure how to see if it is closed, its not locked

Once you have set the Projected texture, make sure you apply it to the raw geometry and not to the group (keep in mind what Box wrote to you).

Here’s the difference between applying texture to a group and applying it to the raw geometry inside it

mvo-03

3 Likes

Mihai,

That worked great THANK YOU!!!

One question, when using a high resolution image it seems to downgrade the quality, I downloaded a tool that can split up the image into tiles. Will it work to pick only each tile and project it down one tile at a time?

You’re welcome!

Did you try and it didn’t work?

mvo-06

I cant figure out how to get that tool to work because it wants a jpeg and not a texture. I imported my image as a texture. Do you have any ideas?

I really do appreciate your help! Let me know what I can do for you.

Those two images in the gif are textures with Projected on (and are Jpeg’s).

If you look again at the first gif I showed you, you will see that in the first phase there are Images, and then I right clicked > explode and they turned into textures.

After importing the image as an image, run Large Image Splitter. Then right click on it to explode the images to faces with textures.

Dave Thank you I will try that,

1 Like