Z Fighting... I cant find a cause

I am a a loss. Don’t really know what I’m failing to look for.
I could use help in fining the cause of my model Z fighting. The video shows the difference between the model being by its self. And being part of a larger model, yet most everything else is turned off in the big model

.

For background: Its a component technically, I will work on it separately and reload it back into the model.

I have checked the OUTLINER. There is not a second copy fighting for Z Supremacy :wink: I have searched as well. Assuming that the name would pop up.

Whats odd is that this is repeatable on two different computers. I didn’t change the graphics setup. It just started doing this today… yet its been a week since I’v been in this model.

I can’t post/share the model in the forum. Let me know if you are feeling expert like and would care to give it a look. I can share the model directly… email drop share whaterver.

Nicholas

That looks more to me like the graphics engine struggling to update the view as you orbit, not z-fighting. I can think of several reasons that might occur.

If you open Model Info statistics, how many edges and faces are in the model? A very complex model can need longer to update than the view refresh time, and SketchUp attempts to give you at least a clue via all that flashing.

How large an extent around the model origin does the model cover? Correspondingly, how far from the model origin have you placed that deck object? There are known issues in the graphics engine when things are too far away from the origin.

I had a file recently that did that kind of shimmering. The cause was a component in the model that was 400,000 feet tall. Even when its tag was hidden it affected the rest of the model.

Try unhiding everything, and select all, and see if there is something that extends a long way from the origin.

It is very large. About 2000’+ wide and and we have some TOPO lines for the hill side. That said Its been fine for months. It just started today. Also… shouldn’t turning off TAGS lower the graphic load. I’lll see that often. Turn off the TOPO overlay and its snappy again.

The origin of the model is directly below the deck.

We have just under 5mill in edges 2 mill in faces 12k in components 3.5k in groups.

In the past I’ve opened and closed the file a bunch of time to purge any cached files. Thats helped with really bad BUG SPLATS…

I may just have to rebuild. Copy and paste everything individually out to a new file. That sometimes a fix.
Maybe I’m asking too much of the software.

Nicholas

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Dude… I had something about 4 or 5 miles away. No idea what. It was grouped so I could find it on the OUTlLINER after selecting ALL and “Zoom to extents”. Didn’t show as geometry or hidden geo… Maybe it was a dot?!? I’ll look at my saved version later tonight see what it was.
That said… I will turn on my extensions and hope nothing changes.:face_with_monocle:

Thank you @colin !

When you zoom extents with the problem object showing, everything will vanish. You can right-click on any valid object in Outliner, and Zoom Selection, to recover from everything vanishing.

Ew… I like this!

Sounds like it might be the old “disappearing text” problem - there are modeling flows that can cause text you had attached to a point in your SketchUp file to become detached - and move WAY away from the rest of your model!

ONE cause of this I know of is:

Model a planar area, divide it in to with a line, attach text to only ONE of the (now two) planar areas, then later delete the dividing line. Sometimes, the text detaches but is retained in the model - FAR away!

There may be other unusual modeling action sequences that also cause the “disappearing text” behavior.

That was fixed in 2019 if I remember correctly.

I agree… there could be something that does something similar. You get so use to all the odd behaviors and ■■■■ that SU and LO throw at you… you forget that its odd. All software has that to some extent.

My “favorite” one thats on the lines of that… When driving into the model and you get right up to the spot you need to work… and it tosses you 80’ away. Like the clipping mask just wormhole’d you to a lonely part of the model. (3d Mouse / Orbit / Warp-Drive Tool)

Maybe I dropped something a few miles away…