Wood grains

Hello,
I am using Sketchup for all things wooden in my business. Everything seems great so far except not being able to locate wood textures in 3D Warehouse that have continuous grain patterns either in horizontal or vertical directions. All I get are repetitive grain patterns upon painting the objects which is both unreal and unprofessional. Anyone have any ideas on how to obtain realistic continuous wood grain patterns?

Textures are, by their very nature, going to repeat when they are applied to faces that are larger than they are. Most of the textures you’ll find are going to be little square things that work fine for tiles, wallpaper, and fabrics but not so much for wood. The fix is to use textures that are larger than the faces. I create my own from images of full length boards. You can do the same. All you need to do is take some nice photos of some boards, crop them to get rid of the background, and import them into SketchUp as textures.

Another possibility is to get images from a source such as Arroway. They have nice high res images of larger panels. Pretty good for plywood and wood floors. Not as good for real boards but you can make them work.

With large enough textures you can pick and choose the parts of the “board” you use for different pieces.

I also usually make textures from 3 to 6 boards from the same log so I have a decent variety.

8 Likes

Excellent ideas, I’ll see what I can make work

Hi Jawick,

Seems your talking about the tiling effect of textures in Sketchup.
The best way to avoid this is to create custom texture files with Photoshop or similar editing software.

A simple solution however is to search Google with " Seamless Wood Texture".
See link. Finding Textures Online - YouTube

Lot’s of online resources now a days. Finding the right one for you on the other hand can be tricky.

Yes. If you can’t get images of whole boards like I use, faking it with Photoshop is certainly an option.

thanks for the information

Dikirim dari iPhone saya

Those are very nice models, Dave!

1 Like

Hi all - what would be the best way to do this without importing a texture? I’m working on a construction drawing which are typically completed with minimal colour. Ideally, I’d like to run some thin wavy lines down the wood surface to symbolise grain but can’t find a function to do so (free style line tool just looks a mess). Thank you

There are some textures in the native Patterns collection that might do the job for you. If you want to draw something, you might use FredoSpline or Bezier Spline to draw some curves and use Offset to make parallel runs.

Sketchup Texture Club has a mass of good seamless textures and the annual fee is very modest ($15?).