Realistic wood texture?

Hi again, I am looking to try to do more realistic wood grain textures and wondering if there are any good extensions out there to help me with this? I know how to add textures and colours direct from SketchUp but I am looking for something more realistic? Not sure where to even start?

Any help would of course be appreciate! Basically stearing me in some sort of direction.

Thanks again!

Jay

Extensions ain’t in it. You’ll want to look for or take decent images of real wood to import as textures. I use images of full length boards so the texture images are typically between 8 and 14 feet long depending on species. I usually make four or five textures from a log so I have plenty of wood for a model.

You will need to do some editing of the images in an image editor but that’s usually not very complicated.

1 Like

You make your own? Do you stitch multiple pictures together to cover that length of board?

I’ve done one or two of my own textures, but starting to look around at pre-made ones from other sources. Keeping track of which ones came from where and the license restrictions attached to them makes me wonder about managing your library after a while.

Free textures are all over the internet - a good google or pinterest search will usually turn up something workable in a bind.

If you have cash - Arroway offers some nice high quality textures and I think they do offer a few free testers.

If you can track it down - V-Ray used to offer a bunch of free textures (that included nice maps) somewhere on their website.

Some product manufacturers also offer maps to match their products. Reckli has a bunch of nice textures if you ever need to do some concrete work.

Yes I make my own and no, they aren’t stitched together. Each texture is made from a single image of a single board.

It seems most people are expecting seamless textures which is why most wood grain textures are so awful. I don’t want seamless wood grain textures, though. I want them to look like they came from trees. You can’t do texturing of wood like this with those little square texture images you commonly find.

7 Likes

Textures.com (My personal favorite):
Make a free account and you can download 15 free textures per day. It doesn’t sound like a lot, but it adds up if you use the website frequently.

poliigon.com:
For higher quality textures, you can go to poliigon.com. I think it costs money though after your one month free trial… or something like that. I only have one day left on my trial…

Google Images:
You can also google seamless textures, like “seamless wood texture” should bring some good results up.

3D warehouse:
There’s also the 3D warehouse. You can click on the materials to download textures. Honestly, the 3D Warehouse is probably the best option.

2018-03-12%2021_32_07

Twilight Render V2:
This is a free extension to add some reflectivity and stuff to your materials in renders.

All you need is to make an accound (free) and you’ll be able to download up to 15 textures per day…

2 Likes

Nice. So, do you take a board and photograph all six faces to get face, edge and end grain? These would be unfinished boards, I assume? I bring it up because I used all clear douglas fir for interior doors and trim in my house, finished with clear, oil based polyurethane. The color is deeper with oil based than water based or unfinished state, so the best way to get that look would be to photograph a finished piece of the wood, not an unfinished one.

No. Just the wide face. I can usually pick out parts of the board to use for the edges and fake the end grain by manipulating the face grain a bit. I don’t find it worthwhile making end grain images to apply to boards. It usually don’t show much anyway.

I start with unfinished wood and if I want to make the wood look like it has been stained or otherwise colored, I make adjustments in an image editor. In some cases I might have the same wood grain images with different “finishes” applied. For example the pine textures in that Swedish bench are raw wood but I have versions that are more golden as if there’s a clear oil-based finish applied. I used that on this deacon’s bench.

FWIW, some of the textures I use are hand-drawn, too. The plywood texture on these chairs was drawn by hand. The texture is 48 x 96 inches so I can pick out different parts of it as desired. I do have some plywood edge materials, too.

In this case I’m not really trying for absolute realism but it sure beats the same 12 in. square pattern being repeated across a large surface.

4 Likes

WOW!!! Nice work Dave!! Thanks everyone!!

Jay

I have been playing around with textures and I downloaded a few wood textures from textures.com. Is there a way to get the textures a little more clear or is this just natural when I have to resize to fit on a piece of furniture?

Thanks again your tips have been very helpful!!

Jay

The resolution of the image you are importing has a lot to do with it. Make sure you enable large textures in Preferences>OpenGL.

How are you resizing the images to fit on your furniture?

The images I use are nearly always larger than the component and I can pick out different parts of the texture for different parts in the model. The deacon’s bench was textured with some lovely wide pine boards…

I did this back in November describing how I create new textures in SketchUp.

1 Like

Hi Dave, this is how I rezize. This is a 72" sofa table so I just resized like I thought would work and then I just position the textures etc etc

This not right??

Thank you!

watching your video now Dave! This looks very helpful!!!

Jay

How big was the texture image when you inserted it? I’m sure the original board isn’t 42 in. wide. It looks to me as if you just changed the dimension of the texture to match the length of your table… That results in scaling. The look isn’t too bad on that piece but it isn’t really right, either.

Yes, alot smaller, this is why its fuzzy I guess?

Gotta step out, I will finish your video Dave as I think its going to really help me!!!

Thanks again!!

Jay

The size shown in Photoshop doesn’t necessarily reflect the real size of the board or boards that were photographed. Yours looks like a wood floor image and if the boards are 2 in. wide, that might be close to the size. Scaling it up will result in the grain being unnatural in size and of course it’ll reduce the resolution making it look blurry.

1 Like

You might also try reading through this post by Jeff Branch. He does some great work with textures (and learned a lot from @DaveR!) Finding, Making, and Using SketchUp Textures | SketchUp Blog

1 Like

Fantastic discussion and texture images, Dave! It probably goes off-topic but what do you use for lighting/rendering in the images you posted in this thread? It’s too sophisticated for SU’s ‘Shadows’ settings. Whatever it is it has a lot to do with how realistic your textures appear.
Thanks, Matt