'Real' wood grain

I’ve an issue wanting to use an authentic wood grain but finding the palette very poor in this. I’ve brought in my own wood grain and end grain but the effect is of someone has just a spare off cut of wood grain wallpaper and is determined to use it up no matter how it looks, resulting in the grain going in all directions or looking like a wood block floor. The orientation I tried to change in the image and brought it in again but of no use. I’ll be creating many things using timber and I’m amazed at all the things SU can do in this area maybe it’s asking too much. Whilst typing this I’ve thought about creating something in Photoshop like a png file. I want to put end grain on the end and the grain going with the length, any ideas?

just paint the faces with the different grains…

you can position the texture once it’s been applied…

john

And you have to assign the textures directly to faces and not to groups/components to be able to position the textures independently.

1 Like

Can you show an example of your wood grain images? It’s possible to make it seamlessly repeat.

I was hoping to make it repeat seamlessly without looking too repetitive. A wider start texture would help though.

Understanding the basics of how textures work on faces, groups and components, is the crucial point here.

1 Like

Please see my response in your other topic (and in the future please don’t double-post, this really just one big forum with category tags to help people filter what they see. Most of us look at all the categories).

1 Like

I feel like I saw a good explanation of wood grain textures from @DaveR at some point but I haven’t been able to find it with the search feature…

Right click a face > Texture > Position

End grain texture:
https://www.textures.com/download/woodfine0079/124251

Wood grain texture:
https://www.textures.com/download/woodfine0012/19681

I really like textures.com because they have tons of realistic textures for free.

1 Like

Thank you for that, very handy.
Regarding the reply, I’m assuming I can do the same with my own collection of wood samples, I’ll look for a good definitive pine like Pitch Pine, (being a joiner) in Textures.com
Steve

1 Like

If I right click on a surface I get a different menu containing much less with no texture option (I’m not using pro)
ss
I can bring in a wood grain but don’t know oh to make it ‘stick’ to the batten
Thx

This is not a texture but an image object (it feels like a component, doesn’t it?). An image object is good as reference photo or ground plan etc.

In the import dialog you have the option to choose “as texture” and “as image”.

When you import it as texture, it will not become a component-like drawing element, but a material that can be scaled and assigned to faces with the paint bucket. A texture is a material with a repeatable pattern that is limited to the bounding loop of the face.

You can convert an image object into a material by right-clicking → explode, but it will still be a rectangle that you might want to cleanup or delete.

The default texture can’t be positioned because there’s no texture to position.

You need to apply a texture before you can position it.
textured%20prior

I’m using SketchUp Make.

What’s the best way to make series of many round holes punched in a thin surface, (perorated sheet metal) I know how make an array, but would this work ?

Array the holes on a Face first.
And then Push/Pull the Face to give the object thickness.

If you start with a flat face, you can create a hole that can be copied. Then use Push/Pull to make it 3D.

1 Like

I’ve done that but by the time I’ve finished doing all the holes they have all been ‘filled in’ bzdb

Looks like you didn’t delete the face inside the circle before copying it.

See this video: DCB Holes - YouTube

If the circles are actually on the face you can double click the main part of the face (not a circle face) and copy/move it to get a face with holes. :slight_smile: But indeed the screen shot does not make it appear this is the case.