Texturing casing

Casing.skp (633.2 KB)
I’m struggling to apply a wood texture to this door casing that was made with profile builder 2 and have it look correct. I want the grain to follow the casing in the correct direction for the sides and top and the texture to flow across the whole profile. I’ve tried using Fredo6’s Thrupaint, but can’t get it to texture from edge to edge across the whole face with the click and drag method. The curvature of the casing seems to stop me. Any tips would be appreciated!

Open the group for editing and apply the texture to the faces not the groups container. That’ll give you the ability to rotate the texture on the faces that need it. Also complete the lines for the miters. They will provide the limits for the material so you can have the correct orientation on each part.

This was done with just native tools.

as Dave says and to speed up the process, once you have one texture aligned 90 degrees from the other you can use the material’s eye dropper tool to sample it and paint it to other surfaces running in that same direction so you don’t have to rotate them all individually.

You can paint the group as a container, but also adjust its local internal axes, to get the textures the way you want them.

Except you can’t get the texture to run two different directions on the same group. That requires painting the faces as I showed.

Or have different groups. I always do that for frames as it represents different parts of wood.

Yes. Or, better, components. I would do that, too, but not everyone needs to show the individual parts like we do. :wink:

Thanks Dave! How did you complete the lines for the miters? Did you show hidden geometry and do it one by one? I did finally figure out what I was doing wrong with Thrupaint. I just needed to show hidden geometry, so I could see every little face and zoom in close to select each one while dragging. After finding a decent oak texture, completing the corners and clicking once for each of the four parts of the profile, I got a decent result. I found that if I clicked repeatedly, the texture would slowly map better as it worked down face by face and ended up looking the same as thrupaint.

Thanks! I completely forgot about that trick. I think I saw it on one of the Sketchup live youtube videos a while back.

I unsoftened the edges on the miters. Can’t remember for sure but I might have also had to add a few edges where faces weren’t divided as on the back of the frame parts.

It looks like Profile Builder 3 will have the option to make them individual pieces. I’ll be going that route going forward.

Yes. It will. And that will make things easier.

One last questions that’s sort of related to this. Where do you source your wood textures from? I looked at the renderings you’ve posted on Flickr and they look really nice. Sketchup doesn’t come with much out of the box and the textures that came with Vray aren’t that great either. Thanks for helping this fellow Minnesnowtan.

Some of the textures I use are from photos I’ve taken. Some are just found images, and some are actually hand drawn textures.