Windows Server 2012 R2 - operating system is not adequate for running SU 2020

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. 160 GB RAM, 12 TB disk. Sketchup 2017 ran fine during my trial period. I just bought the Sketchup 2020 Pro edition. I first ran Sketchup Scan, and it showed success for all tests, including OS version. When I try to install Sketchup Pro, I get "Package SketchUp Error: The operating system is not adequate for running Sketchup 2020. How can I get it to install?

Perhaps read the threads in this category on silent installation.
One of the posts explains how to extract the msi file.

Solved. First, I ran the install on my laptop (runs Windows 10), right up to the point where it finished and is waiting for you to click the Finish button to dismiss the install dialog. All the temp files created by the installer in %localappdata%/temp stay there until you click that final button, at which point they vanish. So before dismissing that dialog, I copied the {B058F844-8F4E-444E-BB74-36FB2048070C} folder from my laptop to my Windows Server 2012 R2 box. That folder contains a bunch of small files as well as another big folder called {03CB7BC4-3C9C-452B-BFD7-1C3616BE96BD}. That’s the one that contains SketchUp 2020.msi. I then uninstalled from my laptop.

Next, on my Windows Server box, I downloaded the Orca msi editor program from the Microsoft download site, and installed it. I ran Orca, loaded SketchUp 2020.msi, and created a new transform. In the LaunchCondition table, there is a row that checks for the target machine’s operating system version. You will recognize the row, because it has the dreaded “The operating system is not adequate…” message. I simply deleted that row, which eliminates the OS check completely. A more elegant approach would be to edit the line so that it permits my particular OS (Windows Server 2012 R2), but I only needed the install to work on my machine, so I just eliminated the row altogether. I then generated the transform file and called it SketchUp2020T.mst.

Finally, (still on my Windows Server box) I opened a command prompt as Administrator, navigated to the folder containing the msi and the mst transform, and ran this:

msiexec.exe /i “SketchUp 2020.msi” /qb /norestart /L*v C:\temp\SketchupPatched.log TRANSFORMS=SketchUp2020T.mst

The install ran perfectly. I launched Sketchup, logged into my subscription account to validate my license, and started using it. It works just fine (apart from the common problem of the four extensions provided by Trimble that don’t load – but this has nothing to do with my OS version). So I’m a happy customer.

1 Like