Windows 10 being offered free, Any knowledge if it?

Hello and I have a constant notice of a Windows 10 offer from Microsoft, a free up grade not a trial. July something this year, and you reserve it. Then you have one year to download it, at 3 GIGs in size. I have Windows 7 Pro x64 bit. It said nothing of the bit size or versions. Only a family or business package and the family is the free offer, there quote It is the best of Windows 7 and the zip of Windows 8 combined. I have only used XP ( minimally) and Windows 7 and dont want any part of the zip. I have Win 7 Pro and Office 2010 Premium. I am content with their performance and almost sure this will require the newer 360 and One Drive features. I believe they will feel it is a waste to support these features and need to upgrade. I like my flip-top phone to make a phone call, that is what I need it to do. It does not hang out of my back pocket and the only apps I buy are off a restaurants menu to eat.

Yes change is good but in a sense I feel herded and almost being forced to turn my desktop into a large smartphone to convenience them. As the way things are squaring themselves as far as improvements in tech. They will all most make you have to change as they are driven to be one step ahead of the other money hungry competitors.

I like the TOOL aspects of what I have and dont want or need a gadget and that is what I feel it is leading to. Netflex`s and X-box on-demand, one click, and touch screen I dont care about. Just wonder if anyone KNOWS about how It performs. Now how comparable it is to the next guys whistles and bells or how it syncs to your other smart devices. They were in such a dam rush with Windows 8, that I heard NOTHING good about. So was it the Beta version of 9 or 10. How many of these do they have and with technology being made obsolete. Do they have a hidden monopoly in a sense, not worrying about dealing from the bottom of the deck. When they are pulling the Aces out of their arss’s …?? Any input or advice…Peace…

Your cheese is moving again … the analogy of turning your desktop into a large smartphone is spot on. As for the things that matter on your new smart-station, Microsoft notes that these things are going away or being replaced:

Feature deprecation section

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7
    Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with
    Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be
    removed.
  • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
  • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing
    Windows 10.
  • Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update
    automatically available. Windows 10 - Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
  • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on
    Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10
    upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and
    Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and
    “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
  • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest
    driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer’s website.
  • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the
    OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version
    of OneDrive.

(see here for more: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications)

Cheer up … as long as you’ve installed SP1, your Windows 7 computer will continue to be supported until January 14, 2020. Who knows, by then you may have even traded your flip-top phone for a phablet :wink:

Will SketchUp 2015 work on windows 10 OS?

I heard, read that all your installed programs should be OK. If they work correctly with Windows Service Pack 1 (SP1), which is what is running in all levels of Vista and Windows 7. This is now MS current Service Pack. I think SP2 was issued with XP and earlier editions. I am concerned with Office 2010 that I bought and dont want to pay to upgrade to 360 or the other INCLUDE features that made and gave Win 7s system its value. THEY feel they no longer need to/or support and are no longer worth including. Listed so kindly by jimhami42

From the MS page they mentioned YOU may need to or may be prompted to look for and update drivers on some instances if you experience issues. I installed Corel Essentials 5, 3 months ago and it would not load until my Wacom tablet updated. Because of the pen-stylus and touch settings that it uses for zoom and rotating, weird?? So I am sure there will be some issues.

I just hate the fact that it is a very important matter and the only info you do find is of the joys and butter flies with rainbows you will experience. Only (like Obama Care) the first week is a nightmare. I did enter my name as for reserving a free upgrade. You have one years time to install it after receiving the download due out July 29th. So I will hold off and see what others have to deal with before deciding. If they are maintain Win7 x64 Pro to 2020 I am good and ALL I AM LOOKING FOR, not what they are pushing their user to. Or directing the flow to suit their best interests // the bottom line, their pressure to compete with market competition and profits. ie: CORPORATE BULLISH^T

Agreed.

I’ve already downloaded Classic Shell cause I can see I’ll hate the Win10 built-in StartMenu.

I’ll test Classic Shell out on my mother’s Win8.1 Toshiba notebook in the meanwhile.

(She’s running Pokki Menu right now. Pokki is OK but somewhat different than the Win7 StartMenu, and installs a bunch of demo ware and links to App games on the Pokki webstore. [I can do without that junk also!])

Just to add that I am not a pessimist and believe 3 or 4 opinions on a matter is the best in seeking positive results. This is what MS shared with me (email) and an “all the FAQ`s” link I would need to know. To use in helping me make an informed decision and rest my worries, I followed their provided link… You only get one chance at a first impression, is what I learned… check it out…Peace…

HUMMM…???..just saying…