Why would SU slow when laptop is undocked?

Hi SU Community.
Weird thing occurring : SU works great and at expected speeds when my laptop is docked at my desk, tethered to a monitor, but when I take the laptop on the go, SU is slowed to the point of being useless. The issue has thwarted two recent client presentations. One instance was on the everyday WiFi, another instance occurred when working remotely, on a hotspot.
Any thoughts on why this might happen?
Thanks in advance!

It’s not SU fault, it’s a feature windows has, in order to save battery it will decrease performance both of the processor and the graphics card, even if you set it to performance instead of battery saving. Macs M series laptops don’t have that problem, they’ll deliver the same performance plugged or unplugged, even intel macs will deliver almost the same performance unplugged, the difference is that the cpu and gpu will drain the battery pretty fast.

Thank you @francisquitof ! I’m working on a MAC and wondered about the power, so I plugged in the undocked laptop during one of these instances. Unfortunately, that didn’t seem to make a difference.
My laptop specs :

Processor : 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
Graphics : AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Memory : 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Any other thoughts on the cause?

Macs do the same and the processors and hardware themselves control it sometimes. There used to be a setting on the Mac to choose whether the GPU was used when on battery power.

1 Like

I’m mot sure if intel macs have the option that M series macs have, on configuration go to battery, there you can choose the performance you want it to have.

2 Likes

You used to be able to force one or the other GPU, not since… IDK, 2012 maybe 2011 ?

you can force your mac NOT to automatically switch to the light GPU (untick automatic graphics switching)

Back then on my old imac I used this, or a similar version of this
https://gfx.io/
or this one. but I’m pretty sure it was the first.

1 Like