SU Pro 2018 slow on MacBook?

Fairly new to SU
I used 2017 version before on my MacBook Pro, OS High Sierra and it ran very smoothly
I recently purchased the 2018 version. I get the spinning “beach ball” all the times, it lasts a few seconds, then gets responsive again. It feels like the computer has not enough memory to run any tasks, even a simple image rotation.
Is there a graphic setting enabled by default that slows everything down?
The program is almost unusable.

Any suggestions?

Update: seems to be worse on files with text annotations

MBP’s may have 2 graphic cards, so make sure in Energy settings that you’re using the better graphics card (or don’t run on battery, always be plugged in). When you beach ball, you can kill the program and get a spindump. Sometimes that will give you clues to hunt down the issue.

SU is becoming unusable on my computer. I ran spindump while beachball occurring.
I’m not really sure how to use this info.
Can I upload the spindump file?

Yea, copy and past in a PM to me, and I can make a reasonable guess as to what’s going on. You did confirm you’re running on the right graphics card?

I think it has only one graphics card, Intel Iris Pro built in…
will PM spindump

Sometimes, randomly (usually when I switch applications), SketchUp Make 2017 runs slow for me. If I save, quit the program, and reopen it, then it always runs full speed again.

It doesn’t happen with a specific tool, it happens with every task and every size model, obviously the larger the model (a couple pf rooms with furniture is the largest I work with) the worse it gets.
Yesterday for example I imported a .3ds file of a sofa which ended up in a location far from the origin where the rest of the objects were. Trying to move it would result in “endless” beachballing, well over a minute for each small step as I was not able to pick the destination point with the program hanging immediately after selecting the object.
Here’s the info on the graphic card:
Intel Iris Pro:

Chipset Model: Intel Iris Pro
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Vendor: Intel
Device ID: 0x0d26
Revision ID: 0x0008
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
Resolution: 2880 x 1800 Retina
Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

So this is a 2-4 yr old MacBook Pro or iMac, according to About integrated video on Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support

Scan the forums for Intel Iris Pro. I did, and I’m not seeing super poor performance issues. When you get poor performance, can you see how many polygons are in the models? Can you share any of the models?

We are running the same machine I think, 2017 and 2018 both work fine on this machine I am running models up to 150MB before getting a bit slow and having to move to my PC but thats always been the case.

I would suggest (as I have always done myself), doing a compete wipe and re-install at least once per year.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.