Why is my model saving as a .tmp file? Sketchup Pro 2018

Hello,

I’ve been working on a project for school for about two weeks and all of a sudden my sketchup file began saving and auto saving as a .tmp file and no matter where I save it on my laptop, It won’t let me save as a skp file. I am saving to the local C drive but I have also tried saving to the D drive with no luck.

Is there any way to solve this or recover the .tmp?

Thanks

It sounds like Windows has changed a file association. Can you upload the file to the 3D Warehouse as a way to get it saved out to access later? Then start by shutting your computer down and restarting it. After that, make a test SketchUp model and save it. Does it save with the SKP extension?

I actually just opened the sketchup file from the last time it saved correctly and I only lost about an hour of work. I saved it as a different name and it saved just fine this time so I think I’ll just continue working on this file and eat that lost hour. But do you have any idea how I can avoid this happening in the future? or is it just a glitch that sketchup has?

I’m not sure what caused it in the first place but I’m sure it’s not a glitch that SketchUp has. This is surely caused by the operating system.

ok, thanks for your help!

Good luck. Hopefully you won’t see this again.

If you keep the SketchUp installer exe file, you can try to re-run the installer (“As administrator”,) and choose the “Repair” option. This may reset the SKP file association.

If I’m not mistaken SketchUp saves as a separate file and then swaps out the old file, to avoid data corruption in the case of SketchUp exiting during save. If that’s the case I still don’t know why the last step of renaming the file doesn’t work. Do you have write permission to the skp file?