When I create a new component or group and paste it into one scene, it appears in all my scenes

The reason for this is that you are actually redefining the definition of that object (a Group is basically the same as a Component, immediately made unique upon editing)
One might hide certain commonly used edges of different wall objects to mimic one solid wall, for instance and have the same looks in every scene.

That makes sense. I replaced all my tags with “Ungrouped”. I am going back and selecting sections (First Floor Existing Framing, First Floor Proposed Framing, Second… etc.) and Tagging them with similar names. I will go back to Outliner and Scenes and see what trouble I have unraveling them.

Thanks for all your perspectives.

Make sure you are using tags correctly. ALL edges and faces are created and left untagged. Only groups and components get tags.

One of the newer skill builders addresses exactly this. Highly recommend if you have a few minutes. :smiley:

2 Likes

I put a tag to rep every scene then tag all components I want in that scene. Hide all the other tags you don’t want to see then update scene.

Thanks Danimaupin, That is a great video. He expressed all my initial confusion. I posted the issue and my work-around for the behavior. It feels like something that shouldn’t happen but I know software enough to know that it may just be a fundamental characteristic of Outliner that I am not yet aware of.

One could try Auto-Invisible Layer, from the Extension warehouse.

Thanks Mike,
Your post sounds like a good observation. I am not quite seeing what you mean though. I am vague on the idea of hiding edges. I have done that on rafters so that they don’t show through roofing when one pulls the camera back away from an image of an entire house.

To me your comments make it seem that you don’t really have a grasp of the way scenes work in SketchUp.

Maybe it would help to think of scenes as similar to CCTV cameras placed around your site. If someonne walks on to the site and stands where they can be seen by several cameras, they will show up on all of those cameras. At least in SketchUp you can give an object (group or component) a tag and use the tags visibility control to determine if the object is visible in ceertain scenes.

Thanks for our reply. Yes, I am going to experiment with organizing my scenes by Tag rather than by Outliner. I have however figured out how to fix the problem in Outliner. It’s simple - I create a component then make it invisible with Outliner, cut it, paste it in place as invisible, then re-enable visibility in the scene I want it to appear in. It no longer appears in all the other scenes.

1 Like

Sounds like you have got a decent grasp regarding hiding edges.

I am not certain why the ability to create Scenes using Outliner was added as a feature but I don’t doubt it has it’s use. You and others have convinced that using Tags to enable/disable visibility of components/groups to create Scenes is the better way though. Reading and watching videos to learn how to create Scenes, I somehow followed the trail of using Outliner for this process. The reality is that it does work. The way I worked around the issue using Outliner feels like a design oversight - innocuous but awkward . Regardless of all that, I want to create Scenes with Tags from now on if for no other reason than they can be controlled directly from Layout. When I am in Layout and see something missing from a Scene I created with Outliner, I have to jump back over to Sketchup, make the change, update the scene, save the file, jump back to Layout, and update the model reference to add the missing feature. I haven’t tried that process using Tags but everything I read makes me think it is way less cumbersome.

You can’t create scenes using Outliner. You can hide or show objects in Outliner. Although scenes will remember the state of hidden objects, as I wrote before, it’s generally best practice to use Hide as a temporary thing and use Tags and Tag Folders to control object visibility. This gives you better control over that in scenes. If the new object is given an existing tag that is already not visible in certain scenes, that new object won’t be visible in those scenes. If you create the new object and then use Hide to make it invisble, you will have to go to each scene to hide and update the scene so that property is updated.

Also as I indicated before, using tags and tag folders for visibility control in scenes also allows you to control that visibility by viewpoort in LayOut.

There’s no need for a work around, though, if you use the right process in the first pllace.

Exactly! Using tags helps to eliminate a lot of that. And likely you’ll find you can get by with fewer scenes.

It certainly is for me.

Here’s a quickie example. All six viewports in LayOut use the exact same scene.

Wow… I see what you mean. I really wish I had watched THIS video before I completed my modem. Tags, Tag Folders, Nested Tax Folders function so similarly to Components, Groups, and Sun-Groups in Outline, only way easier to manage from Layout.

So what then is the purpose for outliner?

*Model not modem

*Apologies for the several autocorrect errors - I used my phone for this reply. I’m confident however that at this point in the evolution of the internet most people can read Typo

Don’t bet on it!

I found this great video on when to use Outliner/Groups and when to use Tags/Tag Folders

That’s a good video and as Aaron indicates, using Outliner is great for working in your model as I indicated earlier. Note that when he was working with the fence component most of what he was doing was in the model space. That would happen whether Outliner is open or not.

I think Outliner is great as a textual representation of the model structure. You can see all of the objects in the model space and the nesting structure. You can open objects for editing and do a lot of manipulation of the model in Outliner so it’s very powerful.

Again, I think using Outliner when working on your SketchUp model is a good option but for object visibility control related to scenes, tags and tag folders is the way to make your life easier. Also, it might not be obvious but you can have tag sub-folders inside of tag folders to further organize the model for visibility control.

FWIW, with the ability to select and control dash style in LayOut as well as controlling lineweight and color by tag in LO (which you can’t do in SketchUp) I don’t assign dashes to any tags in SketchUp. That’s all done in LO. This means I can show some edges with dashes or a color in one viewport and without in another viewport.

I am restructuring my drawing to use Tags to control visibility but I am wondering, is it good practice to assign a Tag to a Section Plane?