What to do when sketchup freezes and never come back?

I see… and what the .dmp extension means?

Google " edit .dmp files " With the editor you can open it to see the contents.

Going back to your earlier question, closing with the X gives SketchUp a chance to save its preferences, and to ask you if you want to save any changes. Doing an End Task with Task Manager will shut the application down immediately, without any of the saving steps.

A utility like this one might help with forgetting to save:

Also, there are some times when a window has gone off screen, and it can leave SketchUp looking like it is locked up. Try pressing Esc before you finally give up, and see if that makes SketchUp come back to life.

wow! very nice tips! thank you very much!!

answering to this = Going back to your earlier question, closing with the X gives SketchUp a chance to save its preferences, and to ask you if you want to save any changes

A: The problem is when its frozen and not responding it will not ask me to save, just to wait or exit…

If SketchUp really is locked up, clicking the X and telling Windows to go ahead and close the program, would be the same as using the Task Manager.

One optional thing is that you can wait a little while and Windows may have a suggestion about why the program was locked up. I doubt that will show anything useful, and so would usually cancel that dialog.

Could you guys use your influence to sugest the trimble team to create a automatic autosave command at the same time skp crashes or freezes? it would be like the invention of the light… :exclamation: :bulb: saving tons or work and time around the globe.

Hi colin, the software is not avaiable anymore to download…Do you know similar programs?

Google is your friend, a search brought up many hits.

I didnt find it friend

Google will produce results searching for “auto saver” there are many hits.
Just because the one Coin suggested does not mean there are none that will work. Open your eyes and try things, you will be surprised at what you will learn.

Re: Sketchup freezing: it was recommended to change autosave preferences but … one cannot change this when the programme is frozen so what other solutions do you have?

What system are you using, and what was the last action that you had done?

New MacBook Pro. New SKUP 2022. If it’s rendering that causes the software to freeze, surely that’s the whole point of SKUP.

I think Mike was talking about rendering extensions to SketchUp. They can take up a lot of processing power. SketchUp doesn’t have a built in renderer, it only shows real time OpenGL scenes.

I was asking what the last action you had done, because there is a Mac specific thing we discovered recently that does lock up SketchUp. If you were simply modeling, SketchUp and the system shouldn’t have locked up.

Hello,
Thank you for taking an interest. I was simply trying to move a model of a lamp, downloaded from 3D Warehouse. The model was left highlighted in blue and the Catherine wheel took up residence. After an hour or so, I forced the laptop to shut down, which caused iCloud to reset my whole system. A nightmare when one has a deadline.
Regards,
Dimity