What’s up with SketchUp Make?

sketchupmake

I’m not with that company anymore anyway and the specific details are foggy at this point at best by now. Oh thank you on ThomThom note…I thought it was him after seeing that

No, Thomthom has passed on the hat (but still develops for SketchUp).

That’s not really fair, considering that SketchUp does not even run on every real computer system (“PC”). And the vast majority of the worlds’s population know only mobile devices as “computers” and historians may once consider everything before was the preceding evolutionary step in the history of computing.

The comparison of digital things and physical things is tricky:

For physical products the customer can always disassemble them and analyze their matter (even with a raster electron microscope) and in theory repair them (with little or high effort).

By contrast, digital products do not consist of matter und are thus easily copyable without effort (sin), but their binary representation cannot be disassembled to understandable source code. Also what is better than with cars, they do not suddenly change and break or degrade over time, it’s the environment that changes and breaks them. So you could keep SketchUp Make 2017 running up to infinity if you keep the environment frozen.

The real problem is that the extension environment is given new possibilities with every version (2018 has already some unique API features). If extensions want to make use of new API features, they won’t work for SketchUp Make 2017 users.

I wouldn’t describe a system where I can’t run my own code as an actual computer. While it’s good smartphones and other systems are spreading across the globe I think it’s tragic how people are left out from actively participating in technology, but instead passively consumes it.

I agree about consumerization, but would want readers not to misunderstand or mix up “running one’s own code” with “systems supported by SketchUp”. Even Chromebooks now have a developer mode and one can tweak what’s under the hood.
But SketchUp does not fully support them and other operating systems (there is a web app which doesn’t allow users to run their own code).

This is because you’re complaining about the abilities of Make for commercial use, and despite paying for several Pro licenses, didn’t even use them. You could have just shared those 7 licenses with new staff so they could try the application out, and you still can.

Blockquote

This is because you’re complaining about the abilities of Make for commercial use, and despite paying for several Pro licenses, didn’t even use them. You could have just shared those 7 licenses with new staff so they could try the application out, and you still can.

Blockquote

you are kidding right…you did read the other messages that say we get PRO versions once we see that they can and will use it right? But at some point my old company has now said bye bye to it.

You seem a little defensive to be just a user and not an employee of the Trimble company. If the program is the “cat’s Meow” explain why I’ve tried 6 files now to load from the warehouse ( 2 lounge chairs , a car, a desk with stuff on it, a robot and an airplane) just to prove a point. Using my old computer that loaded these with the 2017 version and the “New and improved” Browser version, IT has no trouble running the downloaded version. The moment it tries to explode even one level of any of the grouped/component level items it freezes up. So unless you plan on not using the warehouse in the Browser version, exploding anything, using extensions, or doing anything complex this program I guess works then. Oh my old computer that did run this had an I5 6th gen chip, 16G of RAM, 7200 RPM HD and a low end GTX900 series Graphic card. more than enough to run the downloaded version but it seems not the browser version well.

Dont list me the poor company needing to make money line also. I’m a capitalist at heart and you can’t tell me they weren’t making money before for all those years either. I’m saying that this path to make the money was screw up from the beginning and it could have been done better.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

No arguments with you in response…Just want to say your first few lines are very deep and profound…nice expression of that point. I’ll have to use that one day with my friend :+1::grinning:

Quite the contrary. You asked a question, and I attempted to answer. I am just a SketchUp user and nothing more.

I was under the impression that your company had seven pro licenses which they bought so you could train other users, after you already discovered and found a business case for the software (this is what you wrote). But, for some reason, because the free version isn’t feature rich like the Pro version, you threw away the models and stopped using it (you wrote this too). I’m only saying that your company still has 7 Pro licenses that are perfectly good, and you can still use Pro, with extensions, with the 3D warehouse, with all the features you can imagine, right now. Unless I missed something.