What’s up with SketchUp Make?

I agree that the rendering information is a valuable one and shouldn’t be flagged…

But double posting is still against the forum rules.

1 Like

Didn’t double post. I felt having a free alternative for rendering and realtime animation is valuable. Perhaps the manager who pulled my post likes paid alternatives better?

I suspect this will be suppressed as well. They suppressed my last complaint as well calling out their censoring ways.

You posted the exact same thing in the SketchUp Pro Future thread, too. That’s double posting.

Or you can be paranoid.

2 Likes

YES, after this one was censored.

Maybe the comment was flagged because it was off topic to the discussion of what’s up with SketchUp Make, I don’t know. I didn’t flag it. Anyhow, denying double posting isn’t helping. This is double posting.

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/sketchup-pro-future/82761/126?u=eneroth3

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/what-s-up-with-sketchup-make/55219/974?u=eneroth3

1 Like

I didn’t have anything to do with flagging it either so I don’t know why. I saw that you’d made the identical post twice and that’s it.

Yep. I posted it a second time after I was notified this one was removed.

Whatever. I didn’t have anything to do with the removal of your post but it’s starting to sound like you’re blaming me. I’m out.

I did not know you could still see my post on your web page. I believed it was removed and only I could see it. That is why I didn’t think I double posted, b/c the original post I believed was deleted from universal view. I have been corrected and so I apologize for any inconvenience a double post may had cost anyone harm.

I know now that even if a first post is removed, it is still subject to viewing. Thank you for clarifying that.

1 Like

As of this morning, the post can still be viewed.

Untitled

Sketchup Free 2019 is NOTHING BETTER than the previous. still suck. if only you guys can monetize with different ways. maybe like youtube and facebook.

we get commercial every now and then. or a real vendor gives free 3d object of the real object. and there are Buy Button beside the 3d object to buy them as real object.

but all the important feature in sketchup make still there.

You have the right to your opinion.
Please make it coherent.

2 Likes

There is no free version of SketchUp 2019.

2 Likes

You already have your pick of many rendering and animation options available out there, many of which are free or very cheap to use.

Unlikely, considering SketchUp makes absolutely nothing if you pay for a rendering engine. Once again, you have many to choose from at a wide range of price points. No need to criticize SketchUp here, at all.

1 Like

uhmm…

That is not 2019 free, that is simply free and has no year associated with it. It is continuously updated unlike a specific year of the desktop version. Knowing what year the desktop version was released tells us what options are available and what it can and can’t do. The ‘Free’ version will always be current and as such the date it irrelevant.

3 Likes

SketchUp Make isn’t getting any younger.

Explore the latest and greatest way to SketchUp: a Pro subscription. Model on your desktop and on the web, store files in the cloud, view projects in augmented virtual reality, and more!

Thanks for the AutoDesk Fusion 360 mention. I am going to give it a go. Will add my 2 cents here that for personal use, the free version of Sketchup is quite a drop in quality of experience compared to how good the free version has been in the past (probably just when Google was running it).

To the argument that people can afford cigarettes and laptops so should be able to pay $100+ per year for Sketchup. That mindset is just as closed as the one you’re trying to call out for being cheap. It everyone bought every piece of software they want to use for that kind of money, it wouldn’t take much time at all to surpass the cost of a laptop and cigarettes. That’s a lot of money on one piece of software that is for personal use, and for a lot of people not a regular use, just once in a while for home projects etc.

I love Sketchup but hate its cost and especially hate when a company takes over a product and does this to it. Hopefully at least a few of the actual inventors of the product are seeing some of the profits.

I don’t like the subscription licensing model or the web version, but I do understand TANSTAAFL (there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch). People always get quite upset when asked to pay for something they are used to getting without paying (note: I didn’t write “for free”).

When Google owned SketchUp, they gave it away for free because it was a means to draw users to their overall environment in which they make a ton of money gathering and selling info about you to advertisers. They didn’t need revenue from sale of SketchUp licenses to support the business. Even so, they were reportedly very tight-fisted with funding for SketchUp development.

Trimble has no such ulterior motive. They can hope that if you like a free version you will decide to license a pay version of SketchUp, but in the mean time they are actually losing money on you. They pay developers yet get nothing back. And if you want a contrasting business model, consider the “pro-grade” CAD apps that cost thousands per year per seat!

If you can find something that is truly free with no hidden costs, by all means go for it. But please don’t slam Trimble for not wanting to starve.

11 Likes