Welcome to Trimble Creator!

Hi Anssi,

It has gone to public BETA (officially under the SketchUp Labs umbrella).

https://creator.trimble.com

Please, check it out and give us your feedback!

1 Like

Hi simjoubert,

Confirming this is a reproable bug. Thanks for reporting it!

For now, I’d recommend working with the default graph length unit of “mm”… Sorry to our imperial friends, we will fix this ASAP.

2 Likes

@keith_thurlow and @simjoubert
That’s what I already told Simon with my little experience :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:work in mm and look at my Curved shelving graph there are a lot of chosen nodes, I also realized that to have a good logical sequence of parameters you have to align the blue nodes from top to bottom to find this order in the settings window (we are both French it’s one of my friends) He’s going to drown you with questions :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smile::blush:

2 Likes

How do you open one of the live components that you’ve downloaded from the 3D warehouse in Creator so you can see how the graph is built?

Hi Foxtail,

Not all Live Components will show up when you search for them… (we have hidden some that we want to re-build / re-layout). Search for the LC in the graph search, and make sure you select “all”:

We are looking to add a feature to make opening LCs from SketchUp easier soon.

1 Like

@Foxtail
Hi Foxtail
there is not a lot of documentation I have a little search everywhere and for the live components which are on 3dwarehouse, you look at the name of the component and you do a search in the graph (look at my screenshot) and if it exists you will find it and you will have the corresponding graph

3 Likes

LOL .

LOL .

2 Likes

Dare I continue the cycle? :thinking:

1 Like

removed

Is there a way to display a result value in the Parameters ?

Yeah, you can drive a parameter node input with a connected value. Simply connect to the input of a number/string/vector parameter node.

This isn’t always a good thing. In theory, parameters should primarily be used as input for the graph, not output. It does provide a quick way to keep track of a value as it is computed though.

1 Like

Yes, logical, but since there is no console (yet?) or status line or any value tracking…

On a side note, I find that the error display in red is just great.

Have you found output inspection?

Be careful to have the node output selected (otherwise you might inspect “stale” values):

3 Likes

This is SO great! It isgoing to be be very useful for me. And for others for sure.

2 Likes

Is there plan to support this kind of functionality inside SketchUp Pro directly? Really hoping to do parametric design from inside SketchUp directly…or at least for the sake of god write a C++ wrapper so we can run Rhino.inside inside SketchUp
Thnx!

It seems to load into a SketchUp HTML dialog. Not sure how well it will work.

EDIT: Actually, after expanding several of the toolbars, the HTML dialog just closed by itself.

EDIT(2): I think the self closure is caused by Ruby garbage collection. If the reference to the dialog object is persistent like an @dialog reference we might not get the window closing unexpectedly.

Ruby command definition for SketchUp:

UI.menu("Window").add_item(
  UI::Command.new("Open Trimble Creator") do
    dialog = UI::HtmlDialog.new({
      :dialog_title    => "Trimble Creator",
      :preferences_key => "SketchUp.TrimbleCreator",
      :resizable  => true,
      :width  => 1000,
      :height => 600,
      :left   => 100,
      :top    => 100,
      :style  => UI::HtmlDialog::STYLE_DIALOG
    })
    dialog.set_url("https://creator.trimble.com")
    dialog.show
  end
)

Inside SketchUp, HTML dialogs run in the version of Chrome Embedded Framework that ships with that release of SketchUp. See the UI::HtmlDialog Ruby class documentation for more information.

As of SU 2021.1 the CEF major version is 88.

2 Likes

Along these lines: I am hoping they implement either a “Selection” node in TC (which may be tricky because that can change quickly) or a way to push the selected objects from SU to TC and then the result of any operation from TC back to SU. That could all go into a dialog as you guys propose.

1 Like

Hello
To dodge the automatic close, apply a solution Dan gave me a while ago, adding a comparison in a call to “dialog.set_can_close {variable == nil }”:

UI.menu("Window").add_item(
  UI::Command.new("Open Trimble Creator") do
    webkey = "TrimbleCreator"
    dialog = UI::HtmlDialog.new({
      :dialog_title    => "Trimble Creator",
      :preferences_key => "SketchUp.TrimbleCreator",
      :resizable  => true,
      :width  => 1000,
      :height => 600,
      :left  => 100,
      :top    => 100,
      :style  => UI::HtmlDialog::STYLE_DIALOG
    })
    dialog.set_url("https://creator.trimble.com")
    dialog.set_can_close { webkey == nil }
    webkey = nil
    dialog. Show
  end
)

I tried, it has for the moment no more interest than a shortcut! This remains an online service and not self-hosted.

I like the idea that a selection can automatically be transformed into the starting brick of a new graph and in return transformed into a live component!
That would be a great workflow in SketchUp!

Self-hosting with automatic update in the event of a new version would make it possible to gain speed, even without an internet connection, firewall… Or choice of several browsers!

3 Likes

Starting to get Creator just a tiny bit - and starting to realise its incredible potential. But I’ve come unstuck on creating a face on an angled rectangle.

As per the attached screenshot and link - ‘triangulate 2d path’ works for the rectangle on the left - but it won’t work for the angled rectangle above it, as it isn’t in a standard work plane. The nearest I can get is a corresponding rectangle on the floor. Is there another node I should be using for this?

Here’s the graph: Trimble Creator

Thanks for your help.

S

1 Like