Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Who are you, who, who? Eric Lay AKA Boofredlay

What is your industry and profession? Architecture - 3D artist, draftsman.
Where do you use SketchUp? At work, at home, anywhere I can.
Personally/professionally? Both
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? It is the most simple and effective way to convey an idea.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Advanced
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Yes, it was freakin’ awesome too.

What is your current set up? Windows 7 at work, Windows 10 at home. SU 2013-2016
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Eric Lay, 3D Modeling, Architectural Modeling, Rendering, Drafting and Design in Madison, AL
Anything else you would like to tell us? I am an open book.
What is your favorite Emoji? :grinning:
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? By myself, not so much. My feet hurt. With my wife and daughter, all day long…

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites :smiley: )
I’m Bjørn Kåre Nilssen from Kristiansand, Norway. 63y old, long time SU user, and 3D addict since -86 (on Atari ST)
What is your industry and profession?
Mostly arch viz and some photogrammetry. Earlier also some animation etc. Freelancer, art educated, and worked full time as ceramic artist for 20+ years before swallowed by 3D/computers…
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Everywhere.
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…)
It’s a love affair since first encounter in -03.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
Advanced
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
Not yet…
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.
Home built PC, Win10/64 and SU Pro 2016/64
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
A simple page about photogrammetry in SU: Photogrammetry examples
Anything else you would like to tell us?
Not currently
What is your favorite Emoji? :wink:
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
Rather in the forest/mountains… :smile:

1 Like

Hello fellow sketchuppers,

I am Chuck Plaisted, a retired architect. I have used Sketchup since i discovered it at version 1.0 at BuildBoston around 2001.

Just the other day I used Sketchup to figure out a mailbox structure that our association has been building.

Over the last two years I have been designing and refining ideas for a Net-Zero-Energy House that my wife and I are now having built.

I used Nick Solder’s ideas to product the working drawings. I think the isometric wall section details are a revolutionary development and a fantastic way to represent information to the builder.

Currently, I use Sketchup Pro on a 2013 MacBook Pro (no exterior monitors, although, at one time I had 2-24" Dell Flat Screens). I maxed out the memory at 16GB and got the better graphics adaptor. I am very happy with this setup.

I just installed Sketchup Pro 2016 with no apparent issues.

I tell friends about Sketchup, although they are probably pretty set in the way they do things. I keep proselytizing none the less.
So that’s about all for now.

1 Like

****Who are you, who, who? **
I am Clement, french guy living in France.

I am a lightning protection and electrical engineer. I work mostly in industrial domain like oil and gas, nuclear, chemistry, etc.

Both, for my personnal use play or when I want to do some DIY at home. For work, it is a useful tool for assessing unprotected zones regarding lightning.

**Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? **
I use it because it is the EASIEST 3D software to handle! It is always really quick to draw an object and it does not

I can tell I am intermediate… soon advanced ^^

Nope!

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.75 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
Don’t really know that ^^

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Not yet! Maybe one day

Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)

**What is your favorite Emoji? **
^^

Oh yes, of course! ^^

1 Like

Evening folks. Very new to sketchup after attempting and giving up teaching myself AutoCAD. I’m a fire/security engineer my company has asked me to create basic zone plans for fire systems I’m trying to make basic 2D floor plans with doors/stairs other icons and hoping to slowly progress my knowledge . I have a mid range PC with a giant monitor. Get ready for annoying n00b questions!

1 Like

[quote=“SketchUpTeam, post:1, topic:6944”]
I’m Steve, user name Ghazzer. I’m an amateur star gazer but that name was taken on the astronomy forum.
What is your industry and profession? Retired engineer.
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Home/Personal
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…)In an attempt to create 3D drawings from my 2D drawings, and generate solid models for 3D printing.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Blank novice.
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) HP Laptop, WIN7, 12Gb RAM
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Not at this time.
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) I want to 3D print a replacement part for my 1976 Pioneer Turntable. These parts are no longer commercially available.

What is your favorite Emoji?
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? No
[/quote] Some you win and some you lose; Some get rained out and some shouldn’t have been scheduled in the first place.

1 Like

Hi I’m Flo. It took me awhile to find where I should introduce myself :frowning: So now u know know that I’m not great at this) In any case I’ve been using sketchup for years. It took me awhile to get used to it & I’m always learning new (for me) stuff .I love tips that make it easier. I hate that when I get used to a version SU upgrades (so to speak) & changes stuff UGH!The trouble is they kind of force u to upgrade. I don’t use it professionaly so I can’t afford to invest in Pro. I enjoy it to demonstrate things I want to do in the house. Now I’m in a quandry I just started using 1001 bit tools (which is great) but it doesn’t work on SU8. I’m thinking of downloading 2015 / 2016. I think 2016 will eventually cost money so I’m wary of it.Looking forward to getting tips & help from this forum.

1 Like

try SU 1001 toolbits

1 Like

I’m Chris and new to Sketchup. I’m intermediate using SolidWorks, but want to learn Sketchup because I’m helping a club at a middle school. Background is physics, and I want to model things to 3D print. I hope this forum will help me past some frustrations I’ve had so far.

1 Like

I am Roy, a new user trying to learn Sketchup. I use it to design woodworking projects. I am familiar with Autosketch, which I think is a hinderance in adapting to Sketchup. I look forward to learning from these forum topics.

1 Like

Hello fellow SketchUP users, my name is Jack Moses. I am a practicing architect in Los Angeles and have been using the SketchUP software for about 3 years now. My main computer is an iMac 27-inch with OS X 10.9.5 software and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB graphics card.

My SketchUP models continue to improve with practice. Some of them can be viewed on my website under “On The Boards”: http://www.mosesarchitecture.com/

1 Like

Hi all. Newby SketchUp user here. Retired millwright. Use sketchUp for a variety of projects.
Home remodeling, Woodworking, metal fab layout, etc,
Started drawing with Generic Cadd, bought Visual Cadd when Autodesk bought Generic Cadd and killed it.
Started using SketchUp when my wife couldn’t visualize her new kitchen from 2D drawings.
Hope to eventually get into CNC routing and milling.

1 Like

Wow, I love these images.
I also love the Homeless Emergency Shelter Idea. Are you marketing this in any way ?
Have you approached any groups or organizations about putting these things up in cities where homelessness is common ?
Great idea sir.

1 Like

The name is Vic

I’m an ex… truck driver, machinist, cook, logger, college student and current SketchUp beginner.

At home. I like to create projects in my shop.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…)
I took mechanical drafting in primary school for four years. I used Auto Desk Maya in college. I can’t afford the Maya software but I love to create in 3D so SketchUp is great.

Absolute beginner, and having my share of issues with it.

No, can you do it online ?

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
I have a custom built desktop. I spec’d it out over five years ago, but I’ve rebuilt / repaired it myself since.
ASUS motherboard with a 3.3 ghz processor and 16 Gb RAM, ATI Radeon graphics, USB 3.0, two 500 Gb hard-drives with a 2 terabyte backup drive, standard optic drive. I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium.

No 3DW page, but I’ve downloaded the “Align” extension by SUFORYOU from the warehouse. I’m not happy with it yet either.

Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
I’ve seen a few ghosts in my time… they’re soooooo easy to model !

What is your favorite Emoji?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve heard of beaches, but honestly I think that they are only urban myths.

1 Like

Thanks Vic. Nope. So far I’ve just been building stuff myself and giving it away. The bike trailer is being revamped again. I’m ditching the extra frame and designing it so that the wheels can be removed and it simply set on the ground or on blocks. Much lighter that way.

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? I identify as a kitten but technically I am a guy… Meow?
What is your industry and profession? I’m a editor and illustrator however I’m looking to further my skills into 3D animation.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use Sketchup currently for educational purposes in the future I plan to utilize Sketchup for similar software in my video workflow.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I started with 3Ds Max and I found it invigorating to learn. So I switched over to good ol’ Sketchup and have had a much easier time combined with Vray.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? I’d consider myself in the early stages of intermediate. I know the software but I’m not an expert by any means.

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. I use a couple computers, I have a 21 inch iMac for mainly photoshop work (colour calibrated) and multimedia applications. I use a big computer with a 8 core (AMD) CPU and a 780Ti Graphics card as my main PC for film editing. I plan on switching to Intel in the near future.

Not currently. I’m mainly known for my advertising company (facebook Page)

1 Like

Hello All!

• My name is Ed. (there is not a camera robust enough to capture me)
  • I am an electronics engineer
  • I use SU professionally. I use SU to model prototypes.
  • I think of myself as a SU intermediate
  • 3DBasecamp?
  • my set up i7, 16GB ram, GeForce720, windows 8.1, SU2016 pro.
  • No 3DW page yet

Lets have Fun!

1 Like

Hello!
Im oldshoolCQ and I am wanting to use the software for its namesake: sketching construction and woodworking projects.

I just downloaded the freebee and have found that it is not functional. The prompt indicated I had 30 days use of the pro version as well. Perhaps I am not aware of an install toggle or something.

1 Like

Hello, my name is Matt. I am trying to learn this program for some hobbies I have and hope to gain skills and knowledge from you all. :smile:

1 Like

Hello, my name is Charles Daniels. Architecting in Bermuda.
Looking forward to being a user and community member!

1 Like