Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Thanks, I found the red circled items in your reply. I have been reading your messages. As you can tell I am not familiar with the forum’s set-up and how to navigate through it. I think I updated my profile if not let me know.

@Leonardus your profile still says 14.6 and graphics card unknown. It’s not correct yet…

• Who are you? Hi, I’m Nicolas
  • What is your industry and profession? I’m an intern in the renewable energies industry. I will be modeling solar farms and trying to render them.
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Professionally but I intend to use it personally afterwards.
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…) I really like impressing babes with it :blush:, but for real I like Sketchup’s flexibility and simplicity.
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? I would say intermediate, I still have a long way to go.
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No, where do I sign up? :eyes:
  • What is your current set up? Office computer: 11th gen i5 -1145G7 @2.6 GHz, 16 Gb of RAM and integrated Iris graphics (sadly)
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Not really
2 Likes

Hi! My name is Mike. I am brand new to using SketchUp. I was a small construction contractor (primarily remodeling) for many years and am currently remodeling a Victorian house turned 4-plex for retirement income. So drawing is only something I do in order to build. I had experience many years ago with a CAD program (TurboCAD by IMSI) but have forgotten most of it, and SketchUp is very different. I also have a little experience drawing with Home Designer Pro by Chief Architect, which is also very different than SketchUp.
Using an HP Envy laptop running Win 10, SketchUp Free (web) version, with a trickle of internet.

Howdy. Glenn Williams here

I’m a solo practitioner architect for custom residential and commercial projects and a set designer for film and television and, now, streaming content
I’m perched in my studio overlooking the historic Venice Canals in Los Angeles, California
I enjoy using SketchUp for the relatively quick results. Its a favored tool in Hollywood.
I’m probably considered an advanced user but at least once a day I feel like a beginner.
I’ve never attended a SU basecamp but I probably should.
I use SketchUp on a GoBOXX -MXL running Windows 11 or a home made desktop running Windows 10 with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super Founders Edition Graphics Card (900-1G180-2515-000).
I don’t have a 3D warehouse page.
I am fortunate to live a block from the Pacific Ocean so very much enjoy walking on the beach.

3 Likes

Hello my name is Adamovita (Jim), I’ve been using SketchUp since 2007. I’ve first started using SketchUp for planning out woodworking projects, which I still do. But I also draw out fun projects like space ships, houses and whatever else catches my interest. I just recently started using SketchUp Pro.

I came here today to get an account only to realize I already had one that I had forgotten about. So apparently I’ve been a member since 2014 and this is my first post.

4 Likes

Hi All,
Jerry here…
Needed to drop this Portable Floor Stand into drawing for a Pop-up Activation.
Easy peasy, I can knock this out super quick! NO!!! Aaaarrrggh!!! The ‘organic tripod base’ turned out to be a real labour of love. :grimacing:

Used lofting and then push pull, via solid tools etc, seemed extremely convoluted. It gave me a decent representation for the Client but got really frustrated that I couldn’t model it quicker, with more control & with a truer shape.

Could anyone offer a different approach/method?

Many thanks,

Jerry

@jerry1 If you have a specific question like this it’s better to create a new topic for it. This thread is only for introducing yourself…
Edit: I just noticed that @DaveR already made a new topic for you…

Apologies! Thanks for the heads-up.

Hello,
I’m Chris, 50 years old, and I taught myself sketchup to model my house. I had it built 2 years ago, and now I’m working on inserting everything to do with interior decoration and fittings. I do renderings with Vray, and I can say that sketchup has helped us a lot to visualise certain things, or even to design furniture, for example. But I still have a few gaps, and it’s not easy to find answers without the precious help of people who know the subject inside out. So, good day to everyone!

2 Likes
  • Who are you? (show us those pearly whites :smiley: – to start, just one photo if you please )
  • What is your industry and profession?
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…)
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
  • What is your favorite Emoji?
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...?

Hi.

Who are you?
My name is Mike.
I live a couple of blocks from the Pacific ocean (Puget Sound) with my wife, our son, and now 3 dogs (2 new puppies).
I can see Seattle across the water.

What is your industry and profession?
After 20 years of framing and some time working for Uncle Sugar in the Army, I started designing homes…creating plans for permit.
I mostly use Chief Architect (CA), but I also use AutoCAD LT (ACLT) and now SketchUp (SU). I’ve tried Softplan and Solidbuilder and not kept up with them.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
I use SU both for work and play.

I had tried SU back when it was a google app.
I thought it was cute and that’s about it.
Fast forward to now, and I have issues with CA’s roof framing…it’s wrong.
SU however, models each member 100% accurately.

Then I saw Nathaniel Wilkerson’s - Medeek BIM extensions…wow.

My goal is to see if I can create plans for permit (construction documents) in SU that equal or exceed my CA plans.

How proficient are you in SketchUp?
I’m just starting with SU so I’m not super proficient yet.
Definitely a BEGINNER with the software, but an expert in how buildings get put together.
I’m being helped by viewers on Y/T…great help so far.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
I have not attended any formal SU training.

What is your current set up?
I had to give my custom Windows desktop (Puget Systems) to my wife when her computer died.
She’s a busy bookkeeper and remote office solutions pro, so I picked up a loaded M1 Max MBP back a couple years ago.
I have it clam shelled to a 34" Ultrawide and a 43" 4K beast.
I can view ARCH D PDFs at 1:1 on it.

I started using a StreamDeck to manage all the hotkeys/shortcut keys in CA.
I soon learned it uses unique profiles so now whatever app is focused, the StreamDeck automatically switches to that apps tools.
I’ll do a video walk thru of it in the future.

I do screen shares with clients to nail down RFIs. Much faster than PDFs by email, and recording the session eliminates finger pointing if something is missed.

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
No I don’t. I will definitely look into setting that up and share whatever I can.

Anything else you would like to tell us?
I love complex framing. Hand-cut (stick-framed) roofs, rough-framed stairs, if you have questions I will share what I know. Some areas do things different than others so I might say things that might not apply in your region.

What is your favorite Emoji?
Thumbs up

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...?
Our beaches are rocks…so, not so much.

2 Likes

Please do share one or two examples of your (SketchUp?) models or whatever you have accomplished so far, as drawing or as 3D model. Roof and/or stairs.

1 Like

I’m Michael from both Newfoundland and Arizona, depending on the time of year

I’m a retired software engineer.
I use sketchup personally for home projects
I’ve been using it for a number of years but recent changes are making me feel like a complete newbie

At home I use sketchup on a Windows 11 PC with an Intel Core i5-9400 CPU @ 2.9GHz with 64 GB RAM, 64 Bit Operating System
. In Arizona I use it on my Microsoft Surface Pro 7
I currently have a single seat Go license
I used Sketch-Up in Arizona in January and February. Now I’m using it at home. Menus are different every time I start over which I’m getting totally frustrated with

Hi, I’m running into the following. We draw plans in SKP (2023). Now we get the message that our drawings cannot be opened. We export the drawings in WDG file type. And those who can’t open it use CAD programs

They get an error message. It reads as follows:
The nls files required to interpret the text entities and symbol table.
image001-1
image002

Does anyone know what could be causing this?
And can you open my DWG in CAD programs?
Test CAD 2010.dwg (1.5 MB)
Test release 12.dwg (1.6 MB)

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum @GRIP , this topic is just for introducing yourself as the title suggests. If you have a specific question please make a new thread in the correct section. It will attract more answers!

Lanny here,
Retired after teaching graphic design for over 40 years. Used to be the tech guru back when Apple came out. Taught Photoshop when it came on two single-sided floppy disks. I spent years developing techniques in Photoshop that AI can blow out of the water by clicking a switch.

Am now making parts for and restoring vintage travel trailers.Got into Sketchup recently to layout the interior of a trailer I’m working on. Still have lots of problems with my lack of skill but stumbling on.
I’ve really hit a snag.
A couple of days ago I was working alone when things just didn’t look right. I discovered that when I was drawing, a line, a circle, or any graphic, etc., the numbers I type in the measurement box create an object twice that size.
It had been working fine but now .5, or .5", or 1/2" all come out 1"??
Any ideas?

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t see the new thread comment.

just joined cause i’m getting “unable to retrieve your data”

Hello, I’ve just getting started with a trial version of Sketchup Pro. I’m a retired electrical engineer and will be using this 3D modeler primarily to support my woodworking designs. In the past I’ve used many versions of AutoCad (although never becoming an expert - just to support my electrical designs). In the last year or so before retiring, I was using Solidworks - thought it was a good tool and easier to use than Autocad. Not sure about the cost comparison between either a Autocad or Solidworks license vs Sketchup Pro license but I suspect Sketchup Pro will be much less.

3 Likes

Hello, my name is Malcolm and I am a player and blog writer