Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

[Who are you?] Ghrishchenko Kostya \ Грищенко Костя 22.06.1988 1542880786288|375x369
[What is your industry and profession?] Tattoo artist from Ukraine \ Татуировщик из Украины
[Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?] Personally \ Лично
[Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?] I use this program because I’m used to it :slight_smile: And what I like most about it is that with simple actions you can achieve an incredibly complex result) \ Я пользуюсь этой программой потому, что привык к ней :slight_smile: А больше всего мне нравиться в ней то, что простыми действиями можно добиться невероятно сложного результата)
[How proficient are you in SketchUp?] meddle \ средний, полагаю…)
[Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?] No \ Нет
[What is your current set up?] Lenovo Legion y530i \ 1050ti [sketchup 2018]
[Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?] No \ Нет
[Anything else you would like to tell us?] nope \ ничего такого :slight_smile:
[What is your favorite Emoji?] :crazy_face:
[Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?] no \ нет

Who are you?
Jefro, my online nick since the late 1980s

What is your industry and profession?
Industry: Linux for automotive and embedded systems; I work for Red Hat, a subsidiary of IBM
Profession: Community architect, responsible for open source community engagements and partnerships; I have many years of experience running open source project and communities

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Personal projects around architecture, modeling in general, and now 3d printing

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
I started using Sketchup in 2006 when my wife and I designed a house that we eventually built. It was so illuminating to be able to cast shadows to orient the house, and to test the appearance of various features before building them. I was amazed at the accuracy and precision that the tool enables, and it gave us far more insight than 2d CAD.

Since then I have been using it on and off for a number of projects, including modeling all of our household furntiture :slight_smile:, and I’m just starting into 3d printing and looking forward to using it for specific designs for buildings and possibly vehicles for model train layouts with my son.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Somewhere between Beginner and Intermediate. I have the basics down, but being self-taught introduces a lot of gaps that I am slowly filling through the wonderful tutorials produced by the Sketchup team. The Friday live modeling sessions are very, very useful in this regard (and also very fun).

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
Not yet, but I hope to attend in 2022

What is your current set up?
Sketchup Pro 2021 on a Lenovo T14 laptop with 32gb memory, running Windows 10. Most of the time I run Fedora Linux, but I keep a Windows dual-boot partition specifically for running Sketchup.

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Not yet, but this is inspiring me to upload the models of which I am most proud :slight_smile:

Anything else you would like to tell us?
What I love most about Sketchup besides the very satisfying tools and tutorials is the vibrant community that the team has built. Between the forums, the Basecamp conference, and the very active youtube channel, I feel like a part of the Sketchup family. As a longtime community manager myself, I know how difficult that is to pull off effectively. Huge kudos to the entire team.

I would love to see some video tutorials focusing on the gratis web version. The currently produced videos are really wonderful, but there are many modelers who use the web version occasionaly or even exclusively, and it would be very positive to include them as well. The web version is very capable but there are definitely tricks to taming it, especially with less than perfect internet connections. I use Linux as my primary desktop and sometimes the web version is the only option if I have an idea I want to sketch, but don’t have time to reboot into Windows.

All the best & looking forward to more learning on Fridays!

2 Likes

I’m a longtime user of Sketchup (Free Versions) . I use it to lay out simple to somewhat complex office layouts (I sell Office Furniture). Finally upgraded to Sketchup Pro to get a few features we would really like to use like importing .dwg files (Done!) (and eventually Layout Pro, but one thing at a time). But I noticed a feature under the “File” selection that says generate report. If I layout a cubicle drawing, it will give me the number of each part I need which will help our warehouse guys tremendously. BUT in my initial experimenting. If I create a lateral file object and that’s it. And run the report I get a double entry. I’ve tried tinkering with the Entity info and /or the report generator, but for the life of me I can not get it to stop counting the object twice (two distinct line items) One seems to be what I labeled the object when I created it and the other when I saved the file to my library. If I try to delete the label in the Entity Info. It doesn’t seem to take and it still counts it. And I can’t eliminate the file name. I’m sure it’s some simple toggle or step I’m missing, but anyone have any ideas. Thank you for your help

It would help if you upload the .skp file so we can see what you’ve got and how it is set up.

FWIW, you needed SketchUp Pro anyway because you are using it commercially.

Hello,
I am Don Crochet and have used SU in the past many, many, many, years ago. I’ve decided at age 80 that I should get back into using it, however, I am surprised to know how much I have forgotten (or perhaps never learned) when I did use it. I don’t expect to become an expert but I need something to stimulate my brain, and this program is doing just that.
During my career in facilities maintenance I used 2D Auto Cad but always had the need and desire to learn 3D. I intend to use SU to design small wood framed projects. I have viewed many of the tutorials and have found them to be quite helpful and informative. I am a beginner and will bug you experts with questions,
Wish me luck.

3 Likes

Welcome, Don! @dcrochet7

Thanks for the advice . This file only has one item in it. But if i run that “Generate Report” function , it shows up as two different line items.

BBF Ped.skp (278 KB)

What is your industry and profession?: Retired UN applied ecologist
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?: Designing a remodel for our “forever home”
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it: I need to submit plans for a city permit; The precision and power to create is amazing.
How proficient are you in SketchUp?: Beginner
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No
What is your current set up? iMac latest version

1 Like

Hello Everyone

My name is Ant and I joined here about a year or so ago.
Anyway I have always been involved with landscaping, (since 8 years old) I am now 43, and what began as soft landscaping for the family business, evolved into hard landscaping in 1998 onwards. I have little experience with designing and only following site plans already drawn up. I have carried out a few basic designs using pen and paper and then finally switched to Sketchup around a year or so ago, which I am finding perfect. I am still a beginner though and will no doubt learn a lot from these forums. I am now beginning to come off the tools and spend most of my time doing the paperwork side of it and the designs, which I admittedly need to get better at.

I have lots of questions, so will post in other threads.

Nice to virtually meet you all. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi, Mike from BC, Canada.

I’ve been using SketchUp for years for lots of designs from woodworking projects to 164 acre property layouts and everything in between. I get by but don’t use the system anywhere near its potential.

1 Like