Report Generator--SummerFurniture

Continuing the discussion from Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :slight_smile::

If you have the report set up to show Entire Model and All nesting levels you get two lines. The first with no Definition. That’s for the entire model. The file cabinet is only listed once.
Screenshot - 11_13_2021 , 5_14_43 AM

Use Current Selection and All or select a Nesting Level range. to filter out the top level model. In this case entering 2 for the nesting level works fine.

You’d probably want to use Current Selection and choose nesting levels. I imagine you will create SketchUp models showing office furniture laid out in an office space and you wouldn’t want to include objects like the office walls or door and window components or plants in the report.

Not an office but it shows the idea. I don’t want the walls and floor, the throw on the settee, nor the picture on the wall included in the report so I used Current Selection. In my model each piece of furniture is made up of components since they were all done for construction plans, I chose nesting level 1 to avoid getting the parts.

Once you’ve got your report template set up the way you want it, save it for later use.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help. These are features I never had to bother with before so I have to sort of relearn a system of building the drawings. I see what you are talking about. I had two more paragraphs written asking for more help, but I played around with the report generator and the selection and the levels and think I’ve got a system I can work with now.

You were a big help, I was hoping I just needed to get pointed in the right direction. I plan to create a library of generic cubicle panels of varying sizes and characteristics as well as a collection of storage and worksurfaces so we can generate a pick list for our sales of used cubicles.

I still don’t quite understand layers and scenes, but I also hope to learn enough of Layout, so the installers can use a 2D drawing that’s labeled as opposed to the 3D. The 3D works great for giving the customer a feel for the space (or lack of ) sometimes, and may help the installer realize something may not be right, but for expediency, I’ve found the 2D drawings work best for them. Haven’t found the right tutorial yet to get me over that hump. I don’t need to be at Architect or General Contractor level of competence, just enough to have 2D drawings with parts (panels, worksurfaces and storage ) labeled appropriately.

If you have any recommendations for any particular series, that would be great.

Thanks again

I’m happy to know that.

Layers in SketchUp were renamed to tags a few versions back. They are essentially a property you give to components and groups in your model primarily with the idea of controlling their visibility. There’s more but I’ll keep it simple for the moment.

Scenes are views of the model. Most often they will include camera positions showing views of the model along with other properties. This shows the various properties that can be saved as part of a scene. Note also Visible Tags is a property. By controlling which objects are visible with tags, you determine what will show in the scene and what won’t.
Screenshot - 11_15_2021 , 9_43_22 AM

When you create a scene there’ll be a tab for it at the top of the model window. You can switch from one scene to another as desired.

You can create scenes in SketchUp that show the model in perspective views or in 2D parallel projection views and then use select those scenes for the viewports in LayOut. Labels and dimensions can then be added as needed. Here’s an example from a project I did for a client a while back.

Every illustration on this sheet comes from the same SketchUp model file. Each one is a viewport using a scene I created in SketchUp. Most of the viewports in the LO file actually come from a single Sketchup scene. There are separate scenes for the perspective view in the upper right corner of the sheet, the 2D elevation views at the bottom right and the exploded view at the bottom left.

Yes. It’s helpful to give the viewer what they need. Clients often can’t fully understand 2D elevations and plans so perspective views are a good idea. The folks actually doing the work often tend to think in 2D, though. You can give both of them what they need from a single 3D SketchUp model.

By using one model for both, changes that come along are easily managed. For example, if my client came back and asked me to shorten the table from 9 feet long to 7 feet I only have to do that in one place in the model. Everything else will update automatically. Well, I’d have to edit the materials list but that’s trivial.

Maybe send me a PM and we can talk.