Wainscoting on curved wall

Hi Everyone,

I’m trying to figure out how to add wainscoting on a curved wall. Initially, I tried to project an image on the wall (see picture), but because the molding is curved on the stairs, I’m unable to project the image correctly. Any help is appreciated.

Turn off Projected for the Texture.

Basics of SketchUp at learn.sketchup.com

3 Likes

Separate the stairs and the wall in distinct groups or components.

Then you can open the wall and apply the texture from bottom to top without any interference from the stairs.

1 Like

If its an image save it as a texture then you can apply that texture to the surface. If you model the actual moldings create it on the flat then use FredoScale - Radial Bend or True Bend extensions to curve the geometry.

2 Likes

Thanks for the video; it was helpful, but I don’t think projecting an image on the wall will work. The attached picture shows the wainscoting on the stairs, and it’s slanted in a funky way. We are also putting a wainscot on the entire wall (similar to my ima

The stairs and the wall are already separated.

I will try this. Thank everyone!

Based on the photo you shared, I would take a look at Flowify at Sketchucation.

Just skew the texture

Turn off Projected for the Texture, you’re not ‘projecting the image’.
If you want to apply a texture, you can. If you want to create the 3D geometry of that wainscoting is also possible.

Basics of SketchUp at learn.sketchup.com

I would use Flowify to model it, you just model it an a flat surface and the plug-in transforms the geometry to the desired shape, there are some tutorials that teach you how to use, but it’s not complicated at all.