Wade's SubD Gallery - Original Thread* (1st day with SubD/QFT/Vertex Tools!)

Just think, that poor guy teaching will never know which one is Box.

2 Likes

He will be the guy responding to questions JUST before I can…

2 Likes

5 Likes

would you guys say that
“Box Modeling”, “Organic Modeling”, “Subdivision Modeling”, “Quad Modeling”, “Quadface Modeling”, “Poly Modeling (or Polymodeling)” are all terms used for the same process or are the subtle differences?

The reason i ask is i am running into different terminlogy in different forums but would like to capture as many naming references as possible to help gather the most material.

Thanks,

bob

They are not the same. Though the exact definition - it will vary. Some might interpret them differently.

For what it’s worth, this is how I’d describe them:

“Box modelling”: Low polygon modelling. Doesn’t dictate triangles or quads.

“Organic modelling”: Often this refer to modelling shapes which have two or threes degrees of curves. It doesn’t dictate whether it’s polygon modelling or nurbs modelling or any technicality like that.

“Subdivision modelling”: You model a low polygon model and then apply a subdivision algorithm to it in order to produce a model of higher detail. Whether you use triangles or quads for the modelling depend on the type of subdivision algorithm you use. More often than not it’ll be based upon quads.

“Quad modelling”: you try to keep the polygons in your mesh as quads. Some people are extreme purists with this - but more pragmatically you have the odd triangle here and there. Main reason to use quads is that it’s much easier to write tools that manipulate the mesh efficiently and predictably when it consist of quads.

3 Likes

Quad modelling is a generic concept in the world of 3d modelling. If you search for 3d modelling along with topology you will find a lot of reading material and examples that can be applied to any tool that support quads.

1 Like

Thanks again to all for the info. Much appreciated!