Vray render Interior Settings

Hey everybody!

I’m currently working on my first render with Vray 42002 for SketchUp 2020 but struggling with good results at the moment. Already checked a few tutorials and websites, but I have the feeling my scene is quite complicated since there are a lot of windows with daylight and dark corners at the same time. Maybe someone has some tips and tricks for a beginner?

The current status is attached, its a low resolution Redner but you can see already that there are some settings missing.

Thanks for your help!
Vera

About interior lights and rendering:

Thanks for that! Unfortunately I tried it with those suggestions but I couldn’t see a difference, do you think its only the lighting setting?
Also when I change lighting the colors are still washed out and non realistic…

Looks like exposure or EV settings.

Can you share your scene?

Just uploading it to dropbox and will share the link as soon as the upload is done, hope that works for you?
Thanks a lot already!

great

Download link for the scene: Dropbox - File Deleted

sorry to be a pain - could you save it in 2019 version please.

No worries, happy if someone can help me!
uploaded the 2019 version also, same link

HI Vera

Straight off, I would always recommend that you change the light scale from the default scalar to Watts, which allow you to balance your lighting using real world values.
So in your case changing the Scalar value of 80000 on the spots to 100W (for the exhibition spaces) immediately makes things look a bit more realistic with more balance in light and shadow.
The emissive material on the globe lights needs to be set to 50 or some such or choose a different lighting method like,a sphere light or turn each globe into a mesh light, this will give you much more control over the effect and appearance of these fittings as you can separate the light from the material, so as these are likely to be frosted / translucent glass you can Geta more realistic look for these pieces.
I see you have set the main lighting from the Sun and Simple portal lights in the windows.
Its worth using a Dome light with an HDRI image for general scene lighting (its also very efficient as Vray offers adaptive Dome lights now so you don’t have to put portals in the windows.
Yau also have to think like a photographer and consider fill lights and secondary lighting, particularly in parts of the scene that don’t receive any environmental lighting.
So in you set scene, you might want to place some fill light in the exhibition space to spill into the cafe area.

Its also worth downloading IES profiles for spots, this will give you actual cone and penumbra values of real world lights. IES files are usually free from manufacturers websites.

Change your camera settings for now to Auto and let Vray take care of exposure and white balance until you are ready to tackle that.

Its also about artistic intent - so I assume you are going for an early morning feel.
Try out your lighting setup on a clay render (material override) to get the basic setup then you can got about introducing materials and tweaking lighting based on the results

Heres a very quick clay render after a bit of application off the above…

quick_export2

3 Likes

DB link to revised project

2 Likes

As an aside, using those globular pendant lights does, in real life, create a rather bland lighting, so your first picture is a somewhat realistic depiction of what you get, except that the lighting levels might be somewhat lower in reality. I have used them in environments that need to preserve a 1930s atmosphere but, for instance, in workspaces it is best to complement them with table lamps.

Thanks for your help and advices, I’ll try out all the suggestions and will update how it worked!
Thanks a lot, light looks really good in the clay render!

A couple other tips to consider:

1. Give ALL of your glass a thickness so that it refracts light and distorts reflections, etc more accurately.
  2. Not sure if you want to see the bulb in the globe fixture or not but consider adding a Mesh light to the bulb itself so that it glows.
  3. To enhance the light effect coming out of the globe fixture, consider adding a Sphere or Omni light inside the housing and make it Invisible so that it shows only the light effect and not the source (see model screenshot below).
  4. FYI I also added a Dome Light with HDRI as @bifterx recommended.
  5. Try turning on your ‘Bloom and Glare’ lighting effects in the Frame Buffer (see below).

Pendant Lamp - Pendant Lamp Ball bright glass with copper.skp (638.3 KB)

3 Likes

Hi Vera
Just so you know - in the version of your file that I amended - I had set up the globe lights almost exactly as @eric-s has illustrated apart from I used a small sphere light inside set to basically ‘don’t affect anything’ but left it visible and a larger sphere light just a tad bigger than the diameter of the globe but set to invisible (but affect everything). The main difference was that I didn’t use a glass material on the globes but a two sided material (translucent). In some scenes it can be a more efficient render if the light (emitter) is ‘faked’ in this way as VRay doesn’t have to calculate the light refracting through the globe glass and internal reflection and bounces etc from multiple light sources. This only really works in this case because of the choice to use a ‘frosted’ / semi-opaque ‘glass’.

As you can see from just our two examples - there are many different approaches and strategies one can employ to tackle the issue.

1 Like

Hey everybody! Was a bit time in between, but wanted to thank all of you for your tips. As bifterx recommend I changed the lighting settings as described above and it helped me quite a lot.
Wanted to share my result with you, I know it’s still not professional but I’m already happy with it since it shows the atmosphere I’m going for.

Thanks everyone, you helped me a lot!

4 Likes

What a difference, looks great.

2 Likes

Hi Vera,
I can’t list your file. your link has been broken