Making realistic interior rendering

Good day everyone! I’ve been using SketchUp on and off for several years designing interior space. I managed to render a bedroom and I would like to know on how to make it look realistic? I am not that good in playing with the lighting so maybe you guys could help me out. This is how it looks like upon rendering using Vray:

maybe you guys could share your vray settings on how realistic rendering should be done.

Appreciate it loads! stay safe everyone

To my eye, your Vray render looks pretty good and plenty realistic. One of the good things–but also the most frustrating–about rendering programs is lighting placement. Knowing what other users have for lighting settings might help, but only a tiny bit. Your render looks fine for a daytime scene, but the lighting would be very different if you wanted to show the room at night. So spend some time experimenting; it will help you understand the rendering program and how to use it to best advantage.

1 Like

Looks good to me too. As to realism - go and take a photo of a daylighted room, I would guess that it would be a lot darker…Perhaps you have too much ambient light, and the surfaces are perhaps more reflective than they would be in reality. Note that in real life surfaces as white as that are not possible.

1 Like

You can also try adjusting your ‘highlight burn’ down. Use the ‘Force color clamping’ feature in the Frame Buffer to see where your highlights are blown out. Like these areas:

Another example of highlight burn blowing out bright spots and Force color clamping showing where specifically this is occurring:

After adjustments:

Also try rendering at a higher resolution as you’ll pick up more subtle details that way. Good luck.

3 Likes

As others said, looks pretty good! Perhaps a bit over exposed and too perfectly smooth/untextured but thats only if we are getting very picky.

Biggest thing bothering me is the vacant white windows. How about some tree tops, some clouds, at least a sky?

1 Like

Realism comes from the really, really small details. For example, inspect a wall in your home. There’s considerable texture and variation there. Look at where your floor meets the wall. Check for dust and or wear/tear. Avoid sharp 90-degree edges, because in real life things are not quite perfect. Pillows aren’t that identical, blanket isn’t wrinkle free, and windows aren’t perfectly clean. Chair might be slightly off center, lamp might have a cord. Base trim moulding might have a different sheen and more detail or imperfection where someone used caulk to seal it. I could go on.

3 Likes

Already said by many others, looks perfect.
In my opinion TOO perfect, which creates the “problem”.
Imperfections make it more realistic, as well as the lighting, but you can also handle that in post-production with Photoshop or Lightroom.

I personally like to take a brush in Photoshop and just smudge and darken certain areas on walls.
You can also add imperfection maps or a simple grain bump map to your wall texture. Placing a light source in your lamp and adding an emmisive layer to your PC screen will do a lot as well.

I’m using Vray on Sketchup for 10 years now on a daily base and still have issues making a scene look good.