VRAY jagged lines

MAC OSX
I am just starting w VRAY and am experimenting with very simple models so I can get the basic understanding of the different functions. Now I have a very good looking model with smooth straight lines and when I render it in the RT engine with the default settings, I get jagged lines not up close but from a distance ???
I have attached screenshots.

Also I have some trouble understanding the progress window. the blue bar goes away fairly quickly and then i get the same message EVERY time. The computer is still working hard and the render appears to be getting smoother why is the progress bar indicating that the rendering is done???

Hello. RT is not a final render. RT stands for Realtime Rendering. If you orbit or move your model, you’ll see that the rendering window changes accordingly. You should press the “R” button next to RT. That will start the proper rendering.

Your frame buffer shows as you are rendering at 4000 x 3000, and the jagged lines happen when you are viewing it from far out (less than 50%). The function of the frame buffer is just to view your static image, doesn’t necessarily show things so well when you are zoomed too far out. You may see difference if you just save out the image somewhere and open from other image viewer.

*RT renders are to make your test renders quick. 4000 x 3000 is relatively high resolution although your geometry isn’t so complicated, so it won’t take too long.

Your render options do have anti-alias settings. If “R”, the normal render doesn’t give you satisfying result, you can try higher quality/better anti-alias settings.

1 Like

Thanks guys.
I will have a go with the real render, I thought that I would iron out the kinks before I thew it in there.

So … here it is , pics below show frame buffer and jpeg export, I really had no idea that the frame buffer would dhow it that jagged…
The render took me 4 min on my MACBOOK PRO
best and thank you again.

1 Like

No problem. Every image viewer will compact multiple pixels into one when you are zooming out. But the frame buffer will just do poorly which gives you that effect.

Good luck!

There is so much to learn, and not all of it particularly logical.
I meant to ask you about if you have any good material sources, a solid material library certainly would help me get cracking on this thing
Lars

if you can check one of our reply as the “answer” it would be great :smiley:

Personally, I don’t keep Vray material library, as it can contain way too many values and bitmaps. I just start off from default values with SketchUp materials or jpgs, and just tweak the values to match what I need.

But it can differ depending on the scale of model you are working on and the workflow that you have.