Vray glass issue?

Hi gang, I have downloaded a room from sketchup warehouse I am going to mess around with. I have attached an image of before I put into Vray and after its in vray. When not in Vray the glass is transparent and when I try to do a render the glass is not transparent?

I am pretty sure the glass in the room is not a Vray glass and it does look to be double pane.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I will have a roof and a front wall on this, and I want to just have the sun come in through the windows and will light the rest of the room up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Jay

Reversed faces on the glass?

Hello Jay, I guess here is the solution: Video from The Rendering Essentials:

Thanks guys! I tried reversing the faces and did not work. The glass is 1" thick, not sure if this makes a diff??

Thanks for your help and will watch the video :slight_smile:
Jay

Go into your glass window component and sample, then paste the outside texture on the inside of the pane. Both sides of each ‘pane’ need to be the same VRAY glass texture. Used Section cut if you can’t get inside window to paint inside of pane surfaces.

1 Like

Thanks Eric! That worked!!!

Jay

1 Like

Hi Eric, I sent a dropbox file to your email address. Let me know if you did not get it? And again, I cant thank you enough for helping me!!

Jay

What eric-s said works perfectly. Thanks a lot. And easier than using the section cut, double click the model, then you can reverse all the faces and re-apply the texture again. That way all faces will have the texture.

1 Like

I’m a newbie here. I don’t have any idea of it. But I would like to learn more. Thank you!

A year later, I can tell that I have figured out lots of things regarding windows and glass for V-Ray.

When modelling a window, I make the glass a separated component so I can correctly apply the texture. Also is important to make the glass as thick as the original. I go for a 6mm glass. And when applying the texture I go to the V-Ray Asset Editor for the Glass_Window_Neutral material under the Glass folder. With all the faces in white (the external faces), double click until ALL is selected (blue lines with blue dotted faces). Then apply to the selection (Right click over the material and then click on “Apply to selection”. Doing this works perfectly and you don’t have to apply to both faces.

If you apply this material to a flat surface, IT WONT WORK and you’ll get a weird reflection. I suppose that the program detects the glass thickness so it can apply transparence and how many light goes through. I have learned (the hard way) that the closer to reality, the better it will work.
Remember, separate the glass from the other elements (also will make easier to change the other textures) and make it thick (between 4 and 6 mm).

3 Likes

i think no one can answer my problem.
I made the HDRI as invisible, but it turns out it’s not possible to save png on the clear glass with without the background or transparent if you open it in photoshop.

Not at V-Ray now, but I think that when saving an image from the frame buffer, you can turn off the background layer.